Looking into a PNW trip... ideas??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is always Alaska some big stuff still comes out of there from time to time,,,, but thats north of BC and is very seasonal,,, like you head south in november and dont return til may june,,,,

that really wouldn't bother me...as long as im working...but it is getting to the point here were it is just getting way to seasonal too work 130-140 days a year tops...and im wanting something steadier....and the bigger the trees the better

I'm afraid the NF here is going to be stuck with an 18 inch maximum diameter for cutting. The "environmental" groups pretty much have their say and they want diameter caps. On the coast, they are cutting second and third growth trees so not much big stuff. Occasionally some big trees will come off a private land job, but not often.

I'm afraid the NF here is going to be stuck with an 18 inch maximum diameter for cutting. The "environmental" groups pretty much have their say and they want diameter caps. On the coast, they are cutting second and third growth trees so not much big stuff. Occasionally some big trees will come off a private land job, but not often.

So these "environmentalists" think that it is more natural to cut everything under 18" and left everything above that grow?..what a joke...what about when a pine beetle or something comes storming through after a harvest or something..won't that pretty much screw everything up?? those g*dd*mn tree huggers are so uninformed they don't know their *ss from a hole in the ground!!

an 18" limiter should would make for a bummer to cut all day long...wouldn't give a guy(or gal...just for you slowp!) anything to look forward to.

h*ll..this is making where i'm at look all the better..except for the seasonality of it

So these "environmentalists" think that it is more natural to cut everything under 18" and left everything above that grow?..what a joke...what about when a pine beetle or something comes storming through after a harvest or something..won't that pretty much screw everything up?? those g*dd*mn tree huggers are so uninformed they don't know their *ss from a hole in the ground!!

an 18" limiter should would make for a bummer to cut all day long...wouldn't give a guy(or gal...just for you slowp!) anything to look forward to.

h*ll..this is making where i'm at look all the better..except for the seasonality of it

Hardly "everything". Maybe a few. I am so cynical anymore and depressed about the stuff that is going on. Most of us "timber" folks are eligible for retirement in then next 3 years and we're heading out unless things change here. This area grows wonderful trees. Yet, we have to leave no cut areas in the middle of units (try running lines around those) along with the buffers which are no cut along anything that MIGHT hold a bit of water for a couple of days, no cutting around maples, no cutting around snags, etc. Pretty soon there isn't much left to cut. They even were leaving areas where root rot is prevalent because those will make "natural" openings. Then, after the sale is cut, we PAY somebody to go in and dump trees to be left for "down woody debris". I try not to care because I get so angry and it isn't healthy. Guess they do need to get rid of all of us who know what this area can produce and start over with young people who have blank brains that can be molded into the "restoration" way of thinking. :chainsaw:

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out how to continue to work in the woods in 2.9 years. Maybe pile brush part time. :confused:

Back