looking to buy a 50 cc firewood saw, either husky pro 50cc sthil 261 or dolmar 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave mclennan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
any opinions guys? my old husky 51 is worn out and I want to buy a professional 50cc saw, I tried the echo 501 new model, wow light and fast, but expensive, here in british Columbia Canada anyway. but I liked it,so the husky 550, it was fast, but to me It felt bulky, the echo 501 felt better and seemed faster to, I liked the sthil 261 ALOT was the lightest of the bunch (I think) and felt great to, was pricey like the husky but it just felt good in my hands, I tried the dolmar 5105 WOW does this saw cut, has the most power of the group of pro 50cc saws 3.9 hp, felt great to, I cut firewood for 4 homes, in our family, probably 25 - 30 cords a year, and 5 or 6 more for our big workshop, so I need a solid saw and it will work hard, very hard it comes down to the sthil 261 or the dolmar 5105, the dolmar has the best price, parts are easy, we have a dealer here, I asked the dealer about the lean carb setting problem but he believed it was the dolmar 5100, that had that problem, but ill watch it anyway and ill use synthetic oil to,if I buy it. anyone out there think the sthil 261 is a better saw, its $126.00 cdn, more than the dolmar 5105, thanks guys

Do you have any other saws? For 25-30 cords/year, I think I'd want more like a 70cc saw as my main saw and keep the 51 or a newer 50cc for light duty stuff. Of those ones, though, I have run the 550 and the 261. I like the 261 that I have. It's got heated handles, which might be a nice addition up in your area. Good luck shopping, and let us know what you end up with.

Hi, don't put synthetic oil in a new saw, use ordinary high quality oil in your mix so the cylinder
and piston ring get bedded in, using synthetic can interfere with this process, polish the barrel
and cause the piston ring and barrel not to seal properly, after a few gallons of fuel goes through
your saw, then experiment with the fancy stuff.
And still on the oil fuel front, mix the first few gallons at 40:1 or even the first one at 35:1,
let your saw warm up before cutting, and then let her have it so she get hot and beds in,
no wide open throttle out of the cut though, not good for any engine.

I am also looking at a new saw, and have narrowed it down to the Echo CS-501, or MS 260.
I have a Makita 7900, I like it, but I wont be buying another Makita unless the money is good.

You ask if the Stihl 261 is a better saw than the Makita, Grab the Stihl is my answer.
I am not aginst the Makita, I just can't understand why they only use one piston ring,
where Echo and Stihl use two, I think in the long run I will find out.

I would also buy the saw that has good local support for parts, and also keep in mind
how long Stihl have been in business, they will most likely be there when others are not.
I bought a Shindaiwa in January past, and have to get an air filter from the USA, nice backup there,
and am in Ireland, it costs more to post than the parts are.

After doing a ton of cutting with both an MS251 wich is 45cc and an Echo CS500P I can say the smaller saws can keep up with firewood. There are many who say the Husky 350 was the best firewood saw ever and I have to at least agree that a 50cc saw is probably exactly what you want for firewood cutting. I was bucking 25-30 in logs with what I would call relative ease with that little 251. My dad has an MS250 and cuts around 10 cords a year.

My vote goes to the 261. They have a pretty good power to weight ratio. I have a 261 on the way and I plan on putting a Sugihara bar on it and I have the feeling that it will be a joy to use.

I would not worry too much about using synthetic oil or the fact that a saw has one piston ring versus two. Huskys have one. That should be evidence enough that it does not matter.

After doing a ton of cutting with both an MS251 wich is 45cc and an Echo CS500P I can say the smaller saws can keep up with firewood. There are many who say the Husky 350 was the best firewood saw ever and I have to at least agree that a 50cc saw is probably exactly what you want for firewood cutting. I was bucking 25-30 in logs with what I would call relative ease with that little 251. My dad has an MS250 and cuts around 10 cords a year and he has an MS250.

My vote goes to the 261. They have a pretty good power to weight ratio. I have a 261 on the way and I plan on putting a Sugihara bar on it and I have the feeling that it will be a joy to use.

I would not worry too much about using synthetic oil or the fact that a saw has one piston ring versus two. Huskys have one. That should be evidence enough that it does not matter.
I would agree with the above regarding saw size, people who cut firewood would be crippled with the weight of a heavy saw, unless
you go out and get huge trees and actually need a huge saw, it is to be avoided, a forester makes three cuts through the tree excluding felling,
how many cuts will the OP make cutting it into rings for the fire, 30, and we all know a Forrester will use as light a saw as possible,
so where does that leave the man that has 10 times more sawing to do.

Also worth noting is the MS261 will have an electronically controlled carb.
it seems the first of the MS261 's had a manual carb,but some of them had no
oil adjuster for the chain oil, just so yuo know there are different differences
in the 261's and you need to be clear on what you are getting or want.

The Echo CS-501 has a manual carb, so no problems there, and adjustable oiler.
Both these saws are really close in power too, 2.57kw for echo and 2.6 for Stihl.

Also worth noting is the MS261 will have an electronically controlled carb.
it seems the first of the MS261 's had a manual carb,but some of them had no
oil adjuster for the chain oil, just so yuo know there are different differences
in the 261's and you need to be clear on what you are getting or want.

The Echo CS-501 has a manual carb, so no problems there, and adjustable oiler.
Both these saws are really close in power too, 2.57kw for echo and 2.6 for Stihl.
My local Stihl dealer has a standard carb 261 too. I think both are offered in the US

MS261 is the standard carb & 261 CM is the M-Tronic

My local Stihl dealer has a standard carb 261 too. I think both are offered in the US

That's why I mentioned the early 261, and the non adjustable oiler on some of them,
so if the OP was not into electronic control, or wanted an adjustable oiler, he would
have the Echo as the 261's nearest competitor in power, or even go Makita.
Nothing worse than finding out after the fact.

If just one saw for firewood, I would want the Dolmar. I had a 16" 3/8 on my 5100s and it screamed. My dad runs a 20" 3/8 on his 5105. Plenty of grunt to pull that as well. You mentioned good dealer support. It's a no brainer. I've yet to see a side by side vid of a 5105 and v2 261 with a 20" bar and there's a reason for that.

The 261 can still be had with a standard carb, as well the ms 362 just have your dealer order it. In this part of Canada it is pretty much a 1 man show with Stihl, brand support is nonresistant from the other brands.

An adjustable oiler on a 50cc saw seems a bit overkill anyway to me. As long as the manufactory calibrated it to be able to oil 16-20" bars then who needs adjustability. Makes more sense on something like an 066 which may be called upon to oil anything from a 20" to a 42"

Husqvarna is doing a $75 mail in rebate for the 545 and a $50 mail in rebate for the 550.
Each if the three mentioned should serve a guy very well. I would see if you could use them for a bit I bet one will just feel better to you.

I have this for sale
de997e6d47fcf3091a665086ffa85d0c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did quite a bit of homework (here as well as many other forums and tons of customer reviews) before I flipped from a husky homeowner 55cc to the ms261 cm I bought a month or so ago because I was in a similar situation. I needed something light but had enough guts to pull a 20" chain through ash or white oak if I needed it. It certainly doesn't have the torque that my 455 does but it's a ton easier on the back when you're cutting wood all day and that sucker is fast. Since then I've cut close to 5 cords with it and although it took some getting used, to I love it and will likely stick with Stihl as a primary saw from now on.

ms261= standard card
ms261 cm= m-tronic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy this: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husqvarna-359xp-bgd-ported.313234/#post-6348245

Probably doesn't weigh much more than a 5105, and would cut right with a stock 70cc saw. Mike did my Husky 350, and it's an animal.

Having a saw stronger than a stock 50cc is really nice for cutting firewood. Even just with a 16 or 18 inch bar, when you're making cut after cut with the bar buried, it's really much more fun when the saw makes quick work of the situation. Can you cut 25 cords of wood in a year with a stock saw? Of course. But I'd rather use something else if I had to pick one saw.

Do you have any other saws? For 25-30 cords/year, I think I'd want more like a 70cc saw as my main saw and keep the 51 or a newer 50cc for light duty stuff. Of those ones, though, I have run the 550 and the 261. I like the 261 that I have. It's got heated handles, which might be a nice addition up in your area. Good luck shopping, and let us know what you end up with.
no I don't need a bigger saw at all,, my best friend sells firewood and has a sthil ms 261 and cuts some good size larch here in bc he keeps a dolmar 6100 in his truck but says he seldom uses it, why use a heavy saw when you don't need 1, keep the chain sharp and 50 cc professional saws rock, the dolmar 5105 has 3.9 hp to, its 1.1 lb heavier than the sthil 261 and that weighing on my choice of my new 50cc professional grade saw purchase, but I like the extra power the 51cc dolmar 5105 offers, and id save about $125 also and get a 2 yr warranty.

Hi, don't put synthetic oil in a new saw, use ordinary high quality oil in your mix so the cylinder
and piston ring get bedded in, using synthetic can interfere with this process, polish the barrel
and cause the piston ring and barrel not to seal properly, after a few gallons of fuel goes through
your saw, then experiment with the fancy stuff.
And still on the oil fuel front, mix the first few gallons at 40:1 or even the first one at 35:1,
let your saw warm up before cutting, and then let her have it so she get hot and beds in,
no wide open throttle out of the cut though, not good for any engine.

Could I ask where you sourced this info?

Latest posts

Back