Looking to buy new saw, Husky or Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK then....

Head over to the tradin post.
Skip the 455 and the 290 and just step up to a used 361/044-440 or 357,359,372 Husky for about 4 Bills. You'll never wear 'em out with honest use, and can rebuild 'em after thrashing on 'em.
More grunt, and lighter than the box store and homeowner saws to boot.

If you're gonna be doing a LOT of cutting, either the 455 or the 290 will drive ya nuts for bieng slow heavy dogs in short order.

Pics of the cutting site would be cool!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

+1 :help: :deadhorse::biggrinbounce2:

Don't forget the Makita 6401 at HD for around 200. that's a smoking deal!

for the money and weight..................

depending on how much cutting you are going to do you should know both saws are semi-professional (or occasional use) saws. For a $400 budget and seasonal firewood cutting they would be fine but for anything more they are not. Between those two I would go with the husqvarna, the stihl is a cheapened saw that has alot of different issues, not to mention comparably pricier parts. If i was to buy a husqvarna and i were you and money was not too awful much of a factor i would reconsider and go for a more professionally oriented saw, possibly a 357XP or one closer to your pricerange, a 346XP. I think either of those would be very satisfactory to you and way better than the 455. JMHO

I would buy the 50cc 346xp over the 455 rancher or the MS 290 any day.

I'm pretty new here too, but so far I've been made welcome so now I welcome you! I have been impressed with the knowledge and experience that I've found here. I've owned a Husky 455, 257 and 353, and I thought they were all good saws until I bought a Stihl MS 270 Woodboss with an 18 inch bar a few weeks ago. This is one great saw! It starts easy, slices through any kind of wood ( hedge, locust, etc.) , and seems to be built very well. I really love it. I paid $449.00 for it and I found that all the Stihl dealers in my area have the same prices on all of their saws. I at first balked at spending the money, but now I feel that it was well worth it. Hope this helps you.

Glad you saw the light. Welcome to the Sthil Gang. :chainsaw:

Go with the Stihl. Around here I can put you in a new 290 for $359 plus tax. They are good little saws. I'm a Stihlhead though.

Not bashin the Huskey, but you can find you a good 044 and you wont need anything else. It'll do all you want to do. They are great saws and have plenty of power and will outlast you if you take care of it. It'll pull a long or short bar what ever you need. Just my opinion

+1 on the used saws. I've never ran a husky, so I can't comment on them. I have talked to a handfull of Stihl guys who's experience and opinions I trust, and none of them really cared much for the 290. Here's my take on Stihl saws.

The 026 is an excelent light weight little saw, but has enough umph to cut firewood. I wouldn't use it as my only saw, but I think it is perfect for a 2 saw plan. I run it's older, smaller cousin the 024. I use it mostly for limbing and general clean up. I like it, but the 026 is a better saw IMHO.

The 028 is an excelent all around saw, and IMHO, it is way better than the current 290. With a 18" bar and a .325 chain, it would make a very nice saw for what you are wanting, and I've seen a lot of good ones sell for $175. Most folks on here jump straight to the 040 class Stihl saws because most of them cut a lot of bigger wood, but most chainsaw useres just don't spend that much time in anything over about 20". For this reason, I think the 028 is probably THE occational use saw.

The 034 and 036 saws are great too. If you are patient you can find a good one for around $200, but they often sell for closer to $300. These saws will be big enough to do just about anything you ever need them too (25" bars and under), and they will flat out eat firewood, and are light enough that I can run them all day long. I would consider them to be the bottom end of the "work horse" saws. They are a great all around saw, and a very good middle saw for a 3 saw plan. This is currently the upper half of my 2 saw plan which may someday grow to a 3 saw plan :) I run an 036 with an 18" bar, .325 chain, and a 9 pin rim, and it makes a GREAT go-to saw for all my firewood needs. I cut a lot of white oak, hickory, ash, and black locust. I scavange my wood, and someone else has usually cut the medium size stuff, so a lot of my wood comes from the tree trunks that someone else didn't want to mess with because of the size.

The 038, 041, 044, and 046 saws are some serious work horses. We ran an 041 for almost 20 years. Great, long lasting saws, but they are a little heavier than the 034/036. Hard to beat though. Tough as nails. Again, a great upper half of a 2 saw plan. If you cut a lot of wood that's 24" or bigger, these are the the saws to use.

Anything bigger than an 046, I would probably jump straight to the 066. I've never run anything larger than the 046, but I've never heard anything bad about the 066, and I've read a lot of good about it.

For what you've described I would recommend something between an 028 AV and an 041 AV depending on what you really want to spend and how big most of your wood is. If you only rarely cut anything over 20", then I really think you would be quite satisfied with a good 028 AV, especially if your bench mark is Poulan.

Either way, you need a good set of chaps and a helmet. I've haven't yet had an incident with a saw, but the PPE is worth it's wait in gold (or maybe blood).

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

The 455!!

Hey they are both good homeowner saws and will cut more wood than you'll care to stack . . . IF maintained properly.
Besides the fact that I'm a fan of Huskys, I'd recommend the 455 because it has a two year warranty - the 290 a one year warranty.
That's a lot more peace of mind - - could mean a lot.

Al :cheers:

Go to the Husky site and compare the 455/460 and 359 and I think you'll see the winner.

The 359 is lighter, stronger and almost 10% faster chain speed. Pro caliber saw at a reasonable price...

I bought my first saw 2 years ago, Poulln pro 42 cc. I didnt relize how much would i would really have to cut to heat my basement. Well after a season of cutting it got thrown to the way side. Got on ebay picked up a 455 rancher recondition 20'' for 300.00 shiped to my door. While i still have the stock Husky chain and bar on it, it cuts good. I have a 16 inch bar and an 72lgx waiting to be put on this weekend. It does what i need it to do for now, however i can see an upgrade in the future maybe a 385xp or a 372. I still would recommend the saw to anyone

Over Budget!

Go to the Husky site and compare the 455/460 and 359 and I think you'll see the winner.

The 359 is lighter, stronger and almost 10% faster chain speed. Pro caliber saw at a reasonable price...

Man your as bad as Obama!!! The OP said the MS 310 was too much at about $429.00 how to hell is he gonna afford a 359 at about $ 539 or so?????

Al :hmm3grin2orange:

$539 is list. Not sure what street value is. There is also always the good used market.

I was faced with the same question a few years back. Wanted a no nonsense high performance saw for a reasonable price. Went with the 359 and haven't regretted it although this site is corrupting me into thinking I need a 372xp...

If I had a dealer here...

Id go with the Jred 2153....It's like the Husky 346xp....Color diffrence and handle diffrence,,but both sweet saws....

considering . . .

I am having second thoughts, wife said just spend less then 1000 so I may get the 346xp. Found a local deaLer that said they sale me on for 465 with a 18 inch bar.

$hit wish my wife would say "just spend less than $1000". Get a pro saw and never look back! :greenchainsaw:

best saw

hi , i run stihl mostly ,460 and 660 but my wife (57 ) wanted a bigger saw (she was using dolmar 116 so i grabbed a husky 372 for her and she loves it . light and all the power you will ever need . i sneak it every so often and its pretty good .

I am having second thoughts, wife said just spend less then 1000 so I may get the 346xp. Found a local deaLer that said they sale me on for 465 with a 18 inch bar.

You should check out the dolmar 7900 or the makita 6401 used from HD $205.00 or new from Bailies with the 84cc bb kit for $699.00 . My 6401 puts a smile on my face, with the bb kit it must rip.

Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, whatever. Go out and buy a good used saw. Dont matter what color it is,you will get so much more satisfaction out of an old saw. If you think you need a 1000 dollar saw,go find a used model for 400 and buy yourself some PPE ,at least some chaps. I dont know how many saws I have had or have now but I know I only bought two new ones.Old saws are FUN. New saws are overpriced and overcomplicated IMO. Have fun........:)

Latest posts

Back