Looking to buy new saw, Husky or Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am having second thoughts, wife said just spend less then 1000 so I may get the 346xp. Found a local deaLer that said they sale me on for 465 with a 18 inch bar.

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

That is a good price for a NE346 but after hearing "spend less than $1000", I'd start looking at 60cc and 70cc saws.

I meant to add keep an eye out for a NC/SC GTG, we are always looking for new competition.:D

Last edited:
Are you sure your honey said you can spend up to a $1000? Do you think it should be in writing?:jawdrop: Get a Stihl ms 361. Great saw that will go and go and go. Huskys are alright too:greenchainsaw:. My Stihl dealer is alot better to deal with. Which dealer do you like better?

If you really have a budget of $1000. You could get a 50cc and a 70-90cc used saw. That would give you a good combination of light weight and big bar handling saws.

The conclusion

So, got a new saw. I liked the local Stihl dealer much more then the local Husky dealer. So I got the MS 260 Pro and I am looking for a used saw for cutting the larger 24+ inch diameter trees. Picked up some nice chaps too!

You will be pleased with your investment. Show it a little love and it will last a lifetime.

:clap::clap::clap:

Congrats on the new SAW!!

The 260 is a solid little thing and should last your Grandkids a lifetime.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new Stihl as much as I enjoy mine! I've ran Huskies for years and after I fired up my new Stihl and began cutting a log with it for the first time I though " what took you so long? You should have bought one of these years ago!"

Just ran my new dolmar 5100 yesterday for the first time and am impressed. For less that 400 dollars its quite a saw. Seemed to have alot more torque than my 346 xp. Only ran 2 tanks through it so I'm sure it will get stronger. I ran a 290 stihl for about ten years so I have experience with that saw and the dolmar is the hands down winner, no contest. Just my 2 cents.

Excelent choice! I've run the 026, but not the 260. It's makes a very nice little firewood saw. A local farmer I know that also heats with wood has 2 each of the 026, 034, and 041. He runs his 026 saws the most. I currently have an 024 and a 036. The 024 is about the same size and weight as the 026 with a slightly lower HP rating. I use it a fair amount, but once I get a tree cleaned up and ready to actually cut, I always fire up the 036. A 70+ cc saw would have probably fit my needs a little better since I already had the 024, but I found the 036 in great condition for $200. The 62cc is enough power that I can do everything that I NEED, and yet still light enough that I can do all of my regular cutting with it too and not get worn out. It's a compromise, but at that price, it was one that I was glad to make. :)

Back