Looks like I'll Fire Up the Big Stove a Few More Times!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May 21st and I just lit the little stove. 46 tonight and 41 tomorrow night. What the heck, it's free! I can shove a few pieces of what's pretty much scrap in the Hampton H200 and it will heat most of the house up just fine at these temperatures - I love that little stove.

I ain't bein' a smart-azz... just pointin' out the differences...
High 40s... we'd leave a couple windows open (like the kitchen).

Hey, is the chicken coup still uninhabited?? :laughing:

The upstairs only has like barn swallows and barn cats and stuff. Downstairs down to only two hens, something tore up my last big rooster last week.

I cleaned up the glass, scooped ashes out and whatnot of our lil fireplace stove last week when it was 88*...fire last night!
Oh looky, post #2015 in 2015 WOOT WOOT! :happybanana:

The upstairs only has like barn swallows and barn cats and stuff. Downstairs down to only two hens, something tore up my last big rooster last week.

I know of a barn that's full of swallows each year. The entire flock winters somewhere in south america, according to what I've read about them. They all leave the barn as a group sometime in early fall. During the summer they buzz around in the air catching bugs. The farmer loves them because they eat up loads of flies that are attracted by cow manure and spoiled feed. What I cannot understand about these birds is how do they know the flight path from south america all the way up to an obscure barn in East TN? When I get up in a small plane, even over land I've driven over many times, I often get disoriented and mistaken about just exactly where I am. I have to ask the pilot to identify stuff for me so I can get my bearings again, even a familiar mountain or lake looks different to me from the air than it does when I'm driving by it on land. So how do these birds do it? A barn swallow's brain is probably less than half the size of a corn kernel. It would be totally impossible for me to memorize the landscape from here to Argentina. I'm lost already when I'm just one county over. So how do these birds do it?

I know of a barn that's full of swallows each year. The entire flock winters somewhere in south america, according to what I've read about them. They all leave the barn as a group sometime in early fall. During the summer they buzz around in the air catching bugs. The farmer loves them because they eat up loads of flies that are attracted by cow manure and spoiled feed. What I cannot understand about these birds is how do they know the flight path from south america all the way up to an obscure barn in East TN? When I get up in a small plane, even over land I've driven over many times, I often get disoriented and mistaken about just exactly where I am. I have to ask the pilot to identify stuff for me so I can get my bearings again, even a familiar mountain or lake looks different to me from the air than it does when I'm driving by it on land. So how do these birds do it? A barn swallow's brain is probably less than half the size of a corn kernel. It would be totally impossible for me to memorize the landscape from here to Argentina. I'm lost already when I'm just one county over. So how do these birds do it?

I don't know, but yep, interesting. And how about butterflies, like the monarchs? They migrate, too.

Mid 30's tonight. I am NOT going to have a fire. Well inside anyway.

Im in New brunswick and i had a fire rippin all day too wood haven..i cant belive how cold it is out for june.

High of 52* the last 60 hrs. I will not be giving in tho, sweat shirts are on.

Im in New brunswick and i had a fire rippin all day too wood haven..i cant belive how cold it is out for june.

but....but....haven't you heard? We've got global warming happening all over the place! Last year was the hottest on record and they say it's gonna be even hotter this year. Looks ta me like you're one of them thar deniers!

Hhaha..i told the wife today that mother nature was confused as to where alaska was..lol

Burning yesterday and today. I have burned in the AM in June before to take the chill out, sometimes running the A/C by bedtime.

Can't remember burning in the evening though, quite cold and raw!

Back