Looky looky I got a free saw today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnforsakenGhost

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
530744cad212b0fdd7b617d1b798ddf0.jpg

Well gotta free saw today the guy I work with said I could have his chainsaw I was expecting a wild thing surprised me when he came out with this white top 61 he said its barely been used it started and ran great has great compression what y'all think

Really? o_O

What is a white top 61? Looks like a Husky, 61cc? What vintage do you think it is?

Great old saw design, runs good AND free? Can't beat that. Nice going on your new old saw!!!

White top because it's a Rancher version. Congrats by the way, there is one exactly like that for sale near me for $150. Great score!

Yea since I finally got it it home, put gas and bar oil in it, but like a kid on Christmas morning I don't think I got the oil cap on right, but since I've gone back to look at it it seems to be leaking gas as well, I can't tell where from as it seems to be slow leak I'll check the fuel lines and what-not tmr after work, the chain wouldnt cut through butter but its the same size as my 562, cuts great needs the idle adjusted as it won't stay running, I think I'll give him a pedastal sink i have laying around as a thank you, he's also supposed to be giving me his dads old log splitter in Jan too its got a blown motor then I'll be set ;)

I've considered the 272 p&c but its got great compression, and from what he told me, he traded a widow a garage door opener for it and her husband barely used it And he's used it once, I say score ;)

Very nice score. Is it leaking from the caps? Check the cap o rings as they might be cracked, rolled, or brittle.

Really? o_O

What is a white top 61? Looks like a Husky, 61cc? What vintage do you think it is?

Early 80's...about 3.5hp

I had a grey-top 61 for a while, and loved it. That's a score! A great candidate for a ported 272xp cylinder too!! ;)

It's a good bit of work on these early models...P/C, carb, throttle linkage, muffler...probably some other parts I'm forgetting. The newer 61's are pretty much bolt and go, but not so with the white tops.

Like I said it's a runner, has strong compression, haven't had time to test it but it feels tight, like its in need of a decomp valve lol as far as the schematics I'll take a peek tmr, too close to bed time lol thanks for the input

One thing you want to be very aware of is the air filter. I have several saws and my older 61 ends up with more sawdust in and around the AF than any of them. I clean mine with compressed air EVERY time I use it. Used it today, blew it off. First time you use it for a little while, less than one tank full, check it out.
Other than that - you suck
One of my go to saws

Back