Lowballers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Got another call yesterday from a BBQ restaurant looking for a new wood supplier. After he asked a lot of questions he said he was having a hard time finding low wood prices in this area. He said wood in another city is much cheaper and he was tired of high prices.
I asked him what prices he was being quoted and he said around 250 a cord.
I explained that he was comparing apples to oranges.
The reason for lower prices in other areas or for any area for that matter is supply and demand.
He said he was a small business and he could not afford the high prices.
My immediate thought was, so your small, I'm small and you want me as a small vendor to sell wood for no profit so you as a small business can make a bigger profit?
I didn't say that out loud but I was thinking it.
He was very disappointed when he found out my pick up price was 250, the same as the other quotes he was getting.

I was selling a little commuter car on Craigslist that had stopped running. I was asking $550 as I had just put $250 worth of tires on it a month before it quit. Guy says can you sell it for 300? I have to rent a truck and trailer, $200. I'm going to have $100 in gas, can you cut me a break? I said "so the gas station gets their money, u haul gets their money, you get the price you want and I'm the only person who gets screwed?". Told him I'd take 50 off and see if the other places would do the same. Never heard back. :)

I use to hear that crap all the time from regular customers buying loads. It ALWAYS turns out to be an apple to orange comparison. Hold your ground! If he keeps bothering you, raise your price to him.
No I'll gladly sell him wood for the regular price. I never had to nor will cave into selling for less.
My prices are exactly the same as they were 10 years ago.
I don't raise prices when it gets cold ether. My price is already the same or lower then anyone else in my area.
He wanted 2 cords a week, witch is a good client to have but only if I am making money.

I get several lowballers every years when the first cold front blows in. They say they will by all my wood at a discounted price.
I sell out every year and I sell all I can produce at regular price. Why would I shoot myself in the foot?

A guy calls early this morning wanting wood.
He told me about a BBQ cookoff just 2 miles down the street.
I loaded my truck and drove over and sold everything I had with me and I gave my card to everyone I met.
They kicked all car traffic out at 3 pm but I had already made my rounds.
Sure smelled good walking around. Made me hungry.

I think that it is fair to offer discounts to regular customers, or for guaranteed contracts, etc., compared to walk-in traffic.

But if you are already selling all you got, for your full price, there is no need.

Maybe you can stop by and find other ways to 'add value': e.g. maybe he would prefer the wood cut to a custom length, or packaged a certain way, or in specific quantities, etc. You could distinguish yourself from your competition without really costing you anything.

Philbert

I also advertise on Craigs List for regular and smoking bundles. I sell them at $5.00 a piece or 5 bundles for $20.00. The smoking bundles are a flat $7.00 each. (Apple, Hickory and Black Cherry) All of my bundles are 1 CuFt. Had a restaurant from Waterloo call and wanted to buy 2 cord of Hickory. I told them I don't sell in bulk only bundles how many would you like. He said he would pay a premium for the 2 cord. OK I'll bite how much? He says $300 a cord delivered to his restaurant (45 miles). I tried but I couldn't keep from laughing. If my math is right I figure I get right at $600 a cord bundling it. As stated above if you are not having trouble moving at your regular bundle price why drop the price and shoot yourself in the foot. Bought a hand bundler and 6 rolls of shrink wrap off of Craigs List for $600 about a year ago, and have sold roughly $1000 worth of bundles. Not a bad return on your investment I would say.

Over the past 10 years I have down sized a lot of things that I have held onto for years, but never really had much use for.
One thing I have learned is to wait the lowballers out. It's just something we all deal with when we sell things.
I have literately rand ads for a year or more with not a single bite. Then out of the blue, someone calls and it sells that day.
The good thing about firewood, is it's long shelf life.

I tell people you're comparing Cottonwood to Osage oranges. That make them say huh?

Hold your ground and give a quality product, it's not worth the headache to deal with those people generally. Selling on Craigslist is always an adventure. I've had people come from a state away then try to take $50.00 of a $3000.00 item. Leave and then call back and say they'll take it. Sorry, already sold. Then they get mad, it never ends.

An old car sitting in the backyard on Craig's List is a bit different than firewood that a person makes a living on. Kind of interesting though it's SOP to "dicker" on cars, house, etc but most stuff the price is the price.

I give a 5% discount to military and vets, that's pretty much it. I need to pay my bills just like anyone else. Plus start changing prices and pretty soon people talk and then it starts a fight. "Well how come so and so got a cord for $250 and you charged me $275?!"

I'm not hurting for business, I'm certainly not going to bend to everyone customer's wish just to get a sale My price or whatever else doesn't tickle you, that's find, I'm not twisting anyone's arm, can certainly shop around.

The ones that really annoy ... they order online, but then call to get "info" and ask about 25 questions that are all clearly answered on the website. It got to where some days I was spending 2+ hrs just answering calls. I've gotten where I just don't answer the phone anymore unless I recognize the number. If they leave a message and it's valid, I call them back I'm on break or the next day.

"ValleyFirewood,
People will call and say. I'm looking at your ad. What kind of wood do you have and how much is it?
I have to admit, I sometimes feel like asking the person "are you looking at the ad?" What the freaking hell does it say? Can't you read?
I always have charged the same for everyone and manage to keep it the same year round, year after year.

My efforts I made from this morning at the cook off paid off this after noon.
One of the competitors I have left my card with called me up and wanted a cord brought over.
Might get some calls tomorrow after there wood gets low.

Sometimes ads are worded in a way that is clear to one person, but not to another. Sometimes they can be interpreted in different ways. I often contact sellers on eBay to clarify something.

Not suggesting that anyone here deliberately uses misleading wording, but we all know how things can be misinterpreted, especially if you don't know the person face-to-face. I much prefer ordering something over the phone where I can talk to a real person and ask questions, especially for a first time. Might just be personal preference.

"My efforts I made from this morning at the cook off paid off this after noon.
One of the competitors I have left my card with called me up and wanted a cord brought over.
Might get some calls tomorrow after there wood gets low.

Great!

Philbert

Got another call yesterday from a BBQ restaurant looking for a new wood supplier. After he asked a lot of questions he said he was having a hard time finding low wood prices in this area. He said wood in another city is much cheaper and he was tired of high prices.
I asked him what prices he was being quoted and he said around 250 a cord.
I explained that he was comparing apples to oranges.
The reason for lower prices in other areas or for any area for that matter is supply and demand.
He said he was a small business and he could not afford the high prices.
My immediate thought was, so your small, I'm small and you want me as a small vendor to sell wood for no profit so you as a small business can make a bigger profit?
I didn't say that out loud but I was thinking it.
He was very disappointed when he found out my pick up price was 250, the same as the other quotes he was getting.
damn right!!! sell it too me for nothing,, so I can make a high profit,, and you can starve!!!!! uh huh...while he sits high on the hog...........NOT!!!!! whos doing all the work???? guy once said to me hed give 50 for a pickup of split and dry ash...told him here to get off at!!!!

I've also sent lowballer listings for saws in price range he offered. Usually Wild Things or big box specials. As I see more, I keep sending because I REALLY want him to buy a saw. Keep sending. A couple get p ssed and tell me to delete their number. I tell them happy to just think twice before making insulting lowball. Yeah I sometimes have too much time.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Back