Mac-T Hardhat Opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gotzskillz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just got a 4 point Mac-T helmet and would like to replace the suspension with a new one (old one is, lets say, ruff).
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations and their experiences with them?

Thanks,
Chris

The new suspensions are way better than the old ones. If yours is more than a year old, it's not a new one.
I do replace mine every year, its a BMP (is that the term? Best management Practice?).

But so far in my career I have only had brush fall on me that likely would not have left me injured beyond a bruise without a hardhat. Plastic hats gets replaced every 2 or 3 years, I forget.

5 years is the ANSI rule; local policy may vary. I've been whacked pretty good a few times so I don't take anything for granted.
From what I understand outdoor use and wide temp swings shorten that to less then 5 years. The UV light breaks down the hats.

From what I understand outdoor use and wide temp swings shorten that to less then 5 years. The UV light breaks down the hats.

It does for sure. I'm using an MSA Skullgard hat right now. They last a little bit longer than the plastic hats, and are actually a hair lighter than a skull bucket

It does for sure. I'm using an MSA Skullgard hat right now. They last a little bit longer than the plastic hats, and are actually a hair lighter than a skull bucket
My neighbor who is on a construction crew has one. He seems to like it a lot.

Are those the fiber ones? I've never used one and am curious what they're rated for.

They are the fiber ones. Mine's the standard, unpainted one. You can get a whole bunch of colors. They're rated to ANSI Z89, tested by SEI. They're supposed go be good up to 350 deg Fahrenheit. Not 1977 rated. You'll still need your Bullard or whatever you use for wildland.

I know I've been saying I'll do this for awhile, but I'm gonna write an article on the development of tin hats including pics, explaining why I think the current generation SB is the best tin hat ever made.

Please Do.

I wish they could generate enough business to bring the production back stateside.

Latest posts

Back