ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Made my own pickaroon

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by Coldfront, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Coldfront

Coldfront Addicted to ArboristSite

I wanted a pickaroon to pull logs off my pile, went to the hardware store they wanted $75 for one. I took an old axe I had in the garage and made my own. I marked it with soap stone and cut it out with a torch then ground it with a grinder. I wasn't sure about the exact shape so I guessed but the thing works great just like it is I am very happy with it. Here is a picture.

RAYINTOMBALL, Austin1 and KMB like this.
  2. KMB

KMB Addicted to ArboristSite

Good job! I'd like a pickeroon also, but the price of a new one has stopped me thus far.

Kevin

3. husky362

husky362 ArboristSite Operative

looks like it works and cheap fix

4. strongback

strongback ArboristSite Operative

That's a good idea. I've been toying with making one more similar to a hay-hook but I think I like yours a bit better.

5. Coldfront

It works good, I like the long handle for good reach and the knob at the bottom of the axe handle makes it easy to pull / slide the logs off the pile. I hit it once on the log and it really digs in I have to wiggle it a bit to get it loose. Last year I was just using a axe to do the same thing but the axe kept slipping out of the logs all the time when I tried to pull. This is 10 times better.

6. treemandan

treemandan Tree Freak

Its funny how an axe is like 30 bucks but this pickeroon is way more. I have one , don't know how I got it though.

7. strongback

strongback ArboristSite Operative

I was wondering what I'd do tonight (since it's looking like rain in these parts) but now I know. Thanks for the idea.

8. RAYINTOMBALL

RAYINTOMBALL AboristSite Guru

:clap: :clap: :clap: Good job Coldfront. I think I have an old ax laying around and will do the same. Thanks for the idea.:givebeer: :givebeer:

9. husky455rancher

husky455rancher Addicted to ArboristSite

damn it i got a crappy ax i never use and i had the plasma cutter from work here 2 weeks ago. i never even thought of that. good idea

10. BlueRidgeMark

BlueRidgeMark Addicted to ArboristSite

Me, too. Maybe one day I'll make one....

11. Zodiac45

Zodiac45 Paleostoveologist & Sawwhisperer

I'll tell you what, they are a very handy tool! I've always got one in the truck and a pulp hook too but I use the pickeroon allot more. When cutting and loading the truck and /or splitting (machine). Once you get used too using one they are a really great back saver. You spear a round (On the end) and swing it up (away from you)and bingo it's up on the splitter or truck and a slight bend down and it's "off the hook." :clap: :cheers: A bit of a curve on the end (hook) is best also. It keeps the round on till you tilt down on the handle.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  12. Coldfront

Also if you notice on the end of the axe I put in a 7/16" x 3" lag bolt in with a big washer because the axe head would always want to come loose. End of problem. God only knows how old that axe was I got it from my dad who died in 1996 and he probably had it for 30 years or more before that. I bet you could find one at a garage sale for $5.

13. Patrick62

Patrick62 Addicted to ArboristSite

Peavey mfg

http://peaveymfg.com/

I have made handy hooks before. I have hurt myself too many times with the long version. They are very, very useful....

I prefer the thing called a "handy hookeroon" now. The point is fragile, and needs to be re-shaped a bit but really nice. Saves a lot of bending over.

I made one out of a leaf spring (excellent steel) that seems to work better in green wood than dry. More research is needed.

-Pat

14. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

Good work. I have tried a couple myself but with no torch nothing I built had enough weight or proper 'hook' to be a good tool.

Hmmm...I think this calls for a trip to the local pawn shop for an old ax and then to the local welder for some torch work.

Harry K

15. Butch(OH)

Butch(OH) Addicted to ArboristSite

Yes exactly!

We picked up two of them at auction for a couple bucks last spring. Guys, they are a must have tool, most of us just dont realize it.