ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Made my own pickaroon

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by Coldfront, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Coldfront

Coldfront Addicted to ArboristSite

I wanted a pickaroon to pull logs off my pile, went to the hardware store they wanted $75 for one. I took an old axe I had in the garage and made my own. I marked it with soap stone and cut it out with a torch then ground it with a grinder. I wasn't sure about the exact shape so I guessed but the thing works great just like it is I am very happy with it. Here is a picture.

RAYINTOMBALL, Austin1 and KMB like this.
  2. KMB

KMB Addicted to ArboristSite

Good job! I'd like a pickeroon also, but the price of a new one has stopped me thus far.

Kevin

3. husky362

husky362 ArboristSite Operative

looks like it works and cheap fix

4. strongback

strongback ArboristSite Operative

That's a good idea. I've been toying with making one more similar to a hay-hook but I think I like yours a bit better.

5. Coldfront

It works good, I like the long handle for good reach and the knob at the bottom of the axe handle makes it easy to pull / slide the logs off the pile. I hit it once on the log and it really digs in I have to wiggle it a bit to get it loose. Last year I was just using a axe to do the same thing but the axe kept slipping out of the logs all the time when I tried to pull. This is 10 times better.

6. treemandan

treemandan Tree Freak

Its funny how an axe is like 30 bucks but this pickeroon is way more. I have one , don't know how I got it though.

7. strongback

strongback ArboristSite Operative

I was wondering what I'd do tonight (since it's looking like rain in these parts) but now I know. Thanks for the idea.

8. RAYINTOMBALL

RAYINTOMBALL Addicted to ArboristSite

:clap: :clap: :clap: Good job Coldfront. I think I have an old ax laying around and will do the same. Thanks for the idea.:givebeer: :givebeer:

9. husky455rancher

husky455rancher Addicted to ArboristSite

damn it i got a crappy ax i never use and i had the plasma cutter from work here 2 weeks ago. i never even thought of that. good idea

10. BlueRidgeMark

BlueRidgeMark Addicted to ArboristSite

Me, too. Maybe one day I'll make one....

11. Zodiac45

Zodiac45 Paleostoveologist & Sawwhisperer

I'll tell you what, they are a very handy tool! I've always got one in the truck and a pulp hook too but I use the pickeroon allot more. When cutting and loading the truck and /or splitting (machine). Once you get used too using one they are a really great back saver. You spear a round (On the end) and swing it up (away from you)and bingo it's up on the splitter or truck and a slight bend down and it's "off the hook." :clap: :cheers: A bit of a curve on the end (hook) is best also. It keeps the round on till you tilt down on the handle.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  12. Coldfront

Also if you notice on the end of the axe I put in a 7/16" x 3" lag bolt in with a big washer because the axe head would always want to come loose. End of problem. God only knows how old that axe was I got it from my dad who died in 1996 and he probably had it for 30 years or more before that. I bet you could find one at a garage sale for $5.

13. Patrick62

Patrick62 Addicted to ArboristSite

Peavey mfg

http://peaveymfg.com/

I have made handy hooks before. I have hurt myself too many times with the long version. They are very, very useful....

I prefer the thing called a "handy hookeroon" now. The point is fragile, and needs to be re-shaped a bit but really nice. Saves a lot of bending over.

I made one out of a leaf spring (excellent steel) that seems to work better in green wood than dry. More research is needed.

-Pat

14. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

Good work. I have tried a couple myself but with no torch nothing I built had enough weight or proper 'hook' to be a good tool.

Hmmm...I think this calls for a trip to the local pawn shop for an old ax and then to the local welder for some torch work.

Harry K

15. Butch(OH)

Butch(OH) Addicted to ArboristSite

Yes exactly!

We picked up two of them at auction for a couple bucks last spring. Guys, they are a must have tool, most of us just dont realize it.