Makita 6401 oil line repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ram air

Reaction score
I have to replace the oil line in my 6401 because it is blowing oil all over the inside of the clutch area. I have decided to use rope to jam the piston instead of a piston stop. Anything else I should be aware of before I start the repair?

Threads on clutch are reversed from normal....right to loosen.

Not sure of the vintage of the saw, but if lines are black there the old style, new are green. I find the place that seeps is the connection to the pump itself. The line head sits in a pocket and is just a pressure seal. With the heat and cold cycles the rubber may harden/collapse and not seal well. I just put a couple small flat washers behind the line head in the pocket against the case and reassemble. That usually fixes that problem if you don't have a new line kit.

If you don't have a Dolmar Dealer close check out fordf150's site, he's got a store you can get them from plus anything else you may need. Great guy to deal with and really fast shipping.

It is pretty straight forward. A can of brake cleaner or the like is handy to wash out the accumulated crud surrounding that area. If I remember right, my clutch was pretty darn tight on the crank, and I dont believe someone had it off before.
A 372xp clutch tool works on the 7900, I know there are other methods... but they are handy, especially with an impact (my choice of removing clutch, no piston stop either).

Back