Makita 6421 muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint Mitch

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I finally got around to pulling off the muffler on my newly purchased Home Depot rental saw to try and remove the cat. I quickly realized this was above my skill level. I tried heating until red hot but just couldn't get the crimp to flex. Where can I find a replacement that has either been pre removed or never came with a cat in the first place? I don't want to send mine off for fear that it will be lost in transit and also don't want my saw to be down for any length of time....

On a side note the exhaust side of piston and cylinder looks great.:)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Or...

Is anyone in the mid-michigan area who has knowledge of these saws willing to give me a hand and make a few extra $?

I guess cutting and welding might be my cheaper option

Ereplacementparts has one for $94 or cut it open and have it welded back together
I have never heard of that sight until now. Thank you. Kinda pricey but lots of OEM parts!!

I would find someone to send it to. Place an ad in the Tradin' Post. I've sent tons of parts (and saws) through the USPS and never had an issue.

You can just break it apart inside and keep dumping the bits out?

I would find someone to send it to. Place an ad in the Tradin' Post. I've sent tons of parts (and saws) through the USPS and never had an issue.

you just had to post didn't you? damn you and that POS 7900 you road in on clint. damn you to hell lol. i know your just trying to rub it in! just wait til i report to Bill! to the OP. try again with a screw driver, i can get those crimps opened up without heat. ignore clints sig, it's not even that good since it doesn't have a stihl light on it :p

I finally got around to trying again. I ended up heating it with oxy-acetylene torch until cherry red at the seam. I was then easily able to pry it open and hammer it back together. I had more trouble cutting the cat out cleanly..
IMG_20160904_152752298.jpg

It's all together and roughly tuned. I hope to get it in wood tomorrow!!

I finally got around to trying again. I ended up heating it with oxy-acetylene torch until cherry red at the seam. I was then easily able to pry it open and hammer it back together. I had more trouble cutting the cat out cleanly..
View attachment 523397

It's all together and roughly tuned. I hope to get it in wood tomorrow!!

It does sound tougher also:)...

Too bad it isn't worth anything.. like the cat someone cut from my truck a few years back:(

Back