Makita DCS-520 Is it worth holding onto?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are sure your cylinder is the open port design, your new piston should be the full skirt or closed design. I have read here that you can use an open/window type piston on open port cylinders, but I don't know that to be fact. Maybe someone else here can confirm that.

If you in fact have a closed port cylinder, you can only use the open/window type piston.

Also, when you get your saw running, you may want to upgrade the clutch. Your 4300i may have the 2-shoe design clutch, which is inferior to the upgraded 3 shoe design. The 3 shoe clutches are readily available.

Deffo open port. But is it worth £56 repair thanks

Attachments

• 1489760211126-1290677147.jpg
    1489760211126-1290677147.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
Yep open port. I would repair it,but I like these saws:clap::rock:If all it needs is a piston, then you will have a very good quality saw once it is repaired, and less than 120 into it! Seems like a no-brainer to me.

You might want to research what porting actually is. Countless threads on this site related to porting various saws. The 5200i/115i is not "tuned" - it has a different piston and cylinder than the 520i/111i. 5200i is closed port, 520i is open port. You can search that here as well if you don't know the difference between the two designs.
I have Dolmar 115 --Dolmar 111 -Makita DCS540--Makita DCS520.
You are correct in your description. My favorite is the 115, Fantastic Professional grade chainsaw. One reason I like the Makita/Dolmar is that they start with ONE or TWO pulls!

Well, like I said, I have read that the open/window type piston will work. If you can find a full skirt piston for the same price, I would use that and be safe.
I would definitely use a full skirt piston in an open port engine. Sure, ported piston will work, but you need full skirt so the piston to cylinder contact is greater--when piston is down.

OK will put pics on when done. May need a smaller bar and chain for my needs it came with an archer 20" which are apparently crap so any recommendations I'm thinking 16 or 18

Bar/chain combos are a whole other discussion lol. From a personal use perspective, I find the 16" bar on my Stihl feels very nimble when compared to the 18" bars on my Makitas.

Search for a dolmar 111/ ps 52 piston and you find the full circle piston. Most aftermarket pistons are window design.

Back