Makita DCS 520i - Feedback Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsrsol84mm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Makita DCS 520i

Would appreciate feedback on this saw. 18" 3/8 .050 Makita bar

How does it respond to a muffler mod and other mods ?

How does it compare to a Husky or Stihl 50cc saw ?

Picked one up for my 15 year old son so he doesn't scratch my husky 550xp.

Appreciate the info

Thanks

IMHO, one of the best 50 cc saws ever built. For whatever reason, Sachs-Dolmar (who originally designed and built this saw) really had their engineering game together when they designed and built this saw. The DCS 520i is the same as the Dolmar 111i and there are a number of other variants that are very similar in design, such as the DCS 540.

It will respond well to a muffler mod and appropriate adjustment of the carburetor, but you might want to let him run it as is for a while to get accustomed to it before changing anything. Then, if you let him help with the modification he'll understand a bit more about how the saw works and makes power.

It is a "Professional grade" saw in every respect and you should expect many years of trouble free service from it as long as you treat it well.

dd

I agree with dd entirely.

I've had a couple of the 520 model as well as a 111i. Good, dependable runners. Parts can still be gotten without a lot of trouble.

Hope your son learns from it and gets many more years of service from it.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back