Makita (Dolmar in disguise) saws are $20 off right now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raventai

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a saw to complement my 372XP, love that saw when it's needed but i have back trouble and it's just too much weight to haul all day. I have been compensating by using diffrent bar lengths but is its a bit of a pain. I am going to save it and my back for the bigger stuff.

At my local Stihl and husky dealers the size I wanted, around our less than 10lbs pushed into $600 limbing saws or poorly constructed anemic plastic case home owner saws, really liked the 550xp but could not get past the price tag.

I punted and going to give a Makita EA4300 (Dolmar PS421) a try, no local Dolmar or Makita dealer available but I was pleasantly surprised to find Amazon is throwing a $20 off on Makita saws right now.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_lin..._t=7101&pf_rd_p=2488372422&pf_rd_i=B00G38HFMO

Hope that helps somebody.

Really lusting after a stihl MS150 rear or top handle next, I think it would be sweet for dealing with felled tree tops, not cheap though.

Been really happy with the 4300, I am clearing 3/4 acre of forest, very fast cutter in >8" hard wood. Light and compact. more power and build quality than a home owner saw, almost a pro saw, but half the pro saw price.

What I really like is the combined on/off/choke lever combined with the easy start. Just makes it smooth to stop and start. Push down off, switch returns to on, to start just pull rope 6", don't have to touch anything. Very convenient in tedious size clearing.

The stock bumper chain sucks for plunge cuts, just got in 2 loops of Oregon 91vxl, will be using that over the 3 day weekend.

I have a set of tamper resistant screwdrivers coming, after that the cat is coming out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You and I agree completely, raventai. I love my 421 for all of the reasons you mentioned. I keep eyeing the 6400s that are Home Depot rentals. $322.

Work in progress. Nice to have a saw with no drama, it just works.

76275670-1338-4CA6-BE2A-195E20B89738_zpsmoh2uyzc.jpg

One other complaint was the lack of felling marks, until I noticed today it has them molded into the case but unlike my Husqvarna they are the same color as the plastic, black/blue, so out came the gold paint pen.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1464443552551.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464443552551.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 55
Which one is that, WoodDoctor?
That's the 6401 with a BBK (big bore) on board to beef it up. Not sure if it's made anymore. I saved it from a landfill after the owner ruined it while cutting old railroad ties packed with creosote. Never saw such a mess.

Most of the time I have a 25" bar on it rather than the longer one shown here.

Well... Ain't that smurfy?

Love those Makita blue saws.
Plastic color should not matter to me but for some reason it does,

the wife was more on board withthe hole in our budget because of the pretty blue green color. And of course it was for my back health! [emoji56]

Will a regular 6401 handle more than a 20" bar?
[

Yes they will run a 24" bar rather well.

That's the 6401 with a BBK (big bore) on board to beef it up. Not sure if it's made anymore. I saved it from a landfill after the owner ruined it while cutting old railroad ties packed with creosote. Never saw such a mess.

Most of the time I have a 25" bar on it rather than the longer one shown here.

that was one of the dirtiest saws I've seen.

[

Yes they will run a 24" bar rather well. That was one of the dirtiest saws I've seen.
How could I possibly ever forget that? Creosote is mean stuff. We could possibly spend the rest of our lives cleaning up and saving saws wrecked with creosote. One of my buddies worked for UP railroad a few years back. He says they ruined several saws a month in his area while cutting old railroad ties. However, he swears up and down that the phone companies had him beat while cutting up old telephone poles.

Back