Makita EA4300 (Dolmar PS-420) vs. Makita DCS5121 (Dolmar PS-510)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I just made an edit here to ask why the difference in power rating for the Dolmar vs. the Makita. Dolmar's website claims the PS420 to be 2.7HP and Makita's website claims the EA4300 to be 3.0HP. Is this a regional difference, or is it standard?
NO
the 420 c is the "old Modell" with 2.7hp.
the 420 sc = EA4300 is the new Version with 3hp.

g,

NO
the 420 c is the "old Modell" with 2.7hp.
the 420 sc = EA4300 is the new Version with 3hp.

g,

Yes, but as far as I know the 420 sc is called the 421 on the US market. I'm not sure if they are exactly the same on all accounts, but at least the power specs are the same 2.2 kW/3.0 hp (or 2.95 hp) vs. the 2.0 kW/2.7 hp of the original 420.

Dolmar with 3 digits after model type: alumium, open port cylinder, called homeowner

4 digits: magnesium, closed port and pro saw.

Dolmar with 3 digits after model type: alumium, open port cylinder, called homeowner

Sorry NOT correct! 350/351/420/421 have mag bodies and are considered pro saws.
Yes, but as far as I know the 420 sc is called the 421 on the US market...
Excelent catch!

Sorry NOT correct! 350/351/420/421 have mag bodies and are considered pro saw.
Yes, i looked and they have a mag body. But they are sold as home owner saw:
Empfohlen für den semi-professionellen Gebrauch

Sorry NOT correct! 350/351/420/421 have mag bodies and are considered pro saws.

Excelent catch!

You are right about magnesium vs. aluminum - but 3 digit numbers on that generation of Dolmars still means semi-pro, not pro saws. Keep in mind that the 420sc/421 is heavier than a 242xp, and still puts out .2 kw less (with the original 420 it was .4 kW less).

The power to weight ratio of the 350/351 is so bad though that I would classify them as "homeowner" class saws, regardless of materials - they really are an insult to the costumer.

In addition the handling of all these Dolmars suffer from them having an inboard clutch, but that hardly has anything to do with Dolmars own classifications of saws.

It isn't always that straight forward, there are lots of exceptions - as far as I know alu cases on the semi-pro models only is the case on the PS-5000 based saws (but there are models where I don't really know).

What has been the system for over a decade is that 4 digit model numbers means pro saws, and anything less means a lesser saw to some degree.

Another matter (but related) is that what "class" different saws belong to is debatable in many cases - there isn't any consensus, so every brand and every user really can define it as they want to.
I have been "playing" with trying to define it, but it seems impossible to do it in such a way that there will be no exceptions.

The power to weight ratio of the 350/351 is so bad though that I would classify them as "homeowner" class saws, regardless of materials - they really are an insult to the costumer.

I happen to have one of those 351 models. For my purposes it has enough power for a 6 tooth spur and 3/8lp. It is probably the best running saw or maybe even piece of two cycle outdoor equipment I have. The warm up time to run well is extremely short. My complaints would be the odor of the fumes and how hot and how long the muffler stays hot. Rated at 1.7kw just like my 338xpt or your 339xp it is amazing how much better it cuts. It is wonderful for turning on and off, no need to set the choke then unset it to get to high idle like the strato saws I have. the 338xpt starts great but I usually pull the chord when shutting it off as often it sort of goes in reverse in the shut down process.

I think the four digit 65cc Dolmar "pro" saw is open port. Like you say exceptions.

"Pro Saw" is a marketing term, and as such has no meaning other than how successfully it makes you feel like opening your wallet. There is no standard or any way to turn it into something quantifiable. The saw itself - any saw - is a piece of machinery and you can use it for whatever you want, including to make money with or to polish in your garage.

It isn't always that straight forward, there are lots of exceptions - as far as I know the alu thing only is the case on the PS-5000 based saws (but there are models where I don't really know)....
As ST mentioned absolutely correctly the 3 digit labelling is not ONLY homeowner. The classic 115, which is still currently produced and sold in europe is pure pro saw!

One thing I might add is to ST above comment the 5000 model line (4600, 5000, 5001, 4605, 5105) ALL had mag bodies. The 460/500 models were the models with aluminium body.

"Pro Saw" is a marketing term, and as such has no meaning other than how successfully it makes you feel like opening your wallet. There is no standard .....
Excellent comment Chris! Absolutely correct and we have had emough comments on comercial use of the "homeowner/ farmerclass" saws over the years here, with typical timespans of 2-3 years in a commercial setting before replacement as fas as I remember.

I could see the vibration rating as something quantifiable, especially if some government standard for job site limits exists. Seem to recall something of that nature discussed on here in other parts of the world.
Sure, vibration, sound level, weight, power are all quantifiable parameters. But unless some group comes up with some collection of such parameters to catagorize what "pro" or "consumer" means (which would still be arbitrary), they are just marketing fluff.

Yeah the 115 is a pro saw. When they changed the names to PS is 3 digits home owner.

Here in Europe there is a difference in home or pro saw. Same with Stihl, ms290 isn' t sold overhere as a pro saw.

My fault for this discussion as in EU are other standards.

Manuel

As ST mentioned absolutely correctly the 3 digit labelling is not ONLY homeowner. The classic 115, which is still currently produced and sold in Europe is pure pro saw!

Yes, the 115 is a pro model from the 1980s, that still is made and sold today. Of course they didn't change the model number on classic pro model, even though they started using 4 digits on new pro models.

One thing I might add is to ST above comment the 5000 model line (4600, 5000, 5001, 4605, 5105) ALL had mag bodies. The 460/500 models were the models with aluminium body.

Add the 510 to the alu cased ones - it likely is the most common of them, and certainly is in the US.

As I said, this is the only model family I know of where a heavier alu case is used on the semi-pro models, while the pro models have a mag case.

Latest model (2016 ->) DCS5121 / PS-510 / PS-500 will be identical to the EA5000PR / PS-5105 except for the open port cylinder and the spur style clutch drum.

Magnesium crankcases/5105 coil/5105 hood

fee4e784-f3b6-4ca7-9786-861c423d09b2_ea5000pr_p_1500px.png

Interesting thread...I'd love to have a Dolmar 420/421 for small dedicated jobs but haven't gotten around to it. But I do have a Dolmar 510 I got 3 yrs ago that has been the most useful, productive and all around good runner that I've ever used for a 50cc saw....It just starts and runs everytime and it's 18" bar, rim sprocket, 3/8 .050 works just fine...if it goes down I'll probably turn it into a 5105. But so far it's been a pleasure to own and use. Easiest starting saw I've ever had. And it's step up from the 420/421....Heavy?...a bit...doesn't have the low-end grunt of a 5105?...I can't tell while using it, not a 5105?...who cares?...it does it's job and I'm happy....these are good saws. Goes well with my Stihl 461 for most of my firewood needs....

Latest model (2016 ->) DCS5121 / PS-510 / PS-500 will be identical to the EA5000PR / PS-5105 except for the open port cylinder.

Magnesium crankcases/5105 coil/5105 hood

fee4e784-f3b6-4ca7-9786-861c423d09b2_ea5000pr_p_1500px.png
THANKS for the info!

Got mine from DHL today. Wow....so impressed so far. I cut a a bunch of stuff that I rough cut on the mountain previously. Most of the pieces were large and not easy to deal with, so I sized them down with the new Makita. At this point, I can tell you this saw will out cut other bigger saws. Hands down, it's one of the better, if not the best midrange sized saws I've ever held. I've cut with a lot of Stihl and Husky's, and I I always thought I was working....with this Makita...I can't stop smiling. This thing rips!!!

Since I bought mine direct from Germany, I'm not sure if the HP or CC's are different from the exported models. Mine says on the box and the machine that it is a German product. There is no mention of being assembled in China. My angle grinder says it's German, but made in Polland. I truly think the model of saw I bought is an original made in Germany saw and after researching, I think the PS-421 is the equivalent, not the 420.

Cheers,
Dan

Hi Dan,

Congratulation to your new saw.

Just for clarification, only the ps 32 is currently produced in china as fas as I know. The rest are made in germany/hamburg.

And yes the current 420sc = 421.

The old dcs520i I have is a great saw, can't kill it, sat for more than 10 years and with new fuel in tank it started right up and keeps going strong, just got a new 18" prolite bar and stihl rs chain for it and it cuts great. a bit better than the 20 makita bar that was on it.

Back