Makita EA4300 (Dolmar PS-420) vs. Makita DCS5121 (Dolmar PS-510)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It started slow because I tried to start it without choke. Sometimes it does start like that
I have a bet with a friend that my makita starts cold without choke but I seem to Never be able to film it.
So I had to reset the starting process and that's why it looked painful.

Thanks for insight, I'll check it out before using again. I don't think I'll be loaning out favorite saws again. another reason to put together a hutzl 360.

My DCS520i is about 20 years old and continues to amaze me. It allways starts right up, 1 pull with the pull out choke, starts on second pull every time. Never a problem with anything... Amazing saw

I've got the same saw but in Dolmar red, the 111i. Thing just keeps on going, solid workhorse that it is.

Hey guys
I'm from Romania. I got my makita 5121 /dolmar 510 just 3 weeks ago. It is such an awesome saw. But... After reading a ton of topics here about 510 vs 5105 I get restless nights because I didn't got the 5105.... Please make me love my saw again.

The 510 is a very good, durable and reliable saw. I had one too. So unless that extra few hundred grams makes a huge difference to you, enjoy your saw.

I handled a few Makita saws the other day in a store because I never saw one in person before

Not sure what size engine, but 20" bar, probably 50cc

They looked very well made, quality , but Damn They seemed heavy for some reason

Yea. They are a tad heavier than the equivalent Stihl or Husq. Maybe that solid build makes them a pound heavier. I honestly don't mind it.
The difference it's comparable to a full tank of gas and bar oil. Let's use the husqvarna 353 for example, since that's the saw that is similar to my makita, it's about a pound lighter. That weight difference it's like an owner of the 353 will say that he likes his saw better with empty tanks than with full tanks. We are men, what's a pound?

My assumption is always, we are cutting and often moving firewood by hand that weighs tons and are complaining about a "significant" weight differences.

Exactly. Those logs that I've cut in that video I will load by hand on a wheelbarrow and carry away. That last big log weights 4-5 times as much as the saw.
Power / weight ratio is nonsense imho

the best analogy I can give you is to imagine if you are buying a new truck. A bigger truck can be used to haul small stuff while a small truck cannot be used to do the opposite. IMO anything smaller than 50cc is best suited for limbing and light duty clean up work.

Hello All,

There have been plenty of articles on these saws but I'm hesitant on which to pick between the two for my needs. After reading A LOT on this site (impressive community!) and looking at my options, I've settled that it's gonna be one of these two saws (Makita EA4300 or Makita DCS5121). It's going to be my first saw - I haven't even ever used a chain saw before hence the need for advice (young man here). I'm going to be using it on a 1.5 acre lot to cut 2, maybe 3 cords a year to burn at the cottage. I'll mostly be cutting trees that have already fallen, mostly spruce, maple, birch and some pine. For the most part I should be dealing with trees between 10' and 16' diameter, and rarely a max of 20'.

I was quite decided on the EA4300 since I see that the corresponding Dolmar PS-420 had an impressive following and has a reputation for being very well built. I found out however that my dealer has the DCS5121 for only $25 more. The corresponding PS-510 has seemed to generate a little less enthusiasm though, has aluminium instead of magnesium like the former and is assembled in China instead of Germany like the former. Should I go for the 7 more CCs but 1.3 more lbs nevertheless? Or should I stick with the smaller saw, and buy another 60+ CC one day if I ever feel the need for more saw?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Ben

Back