mall 6 as chainsaw mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alabama xl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got most of a Mall 6 chainsaw sitting at my place. The engine turns over, and other than being dirty/and needing paint, it seems like it's all there. It's unfortunately missing the bar. There's a small chance that I might be able to find the bar and handle at the estate of the man I bought it from, but that chance is very small. Nobody knew what the thing was when I was buying it along with a couple of other "small" engines, and I only realized what I had a week or so after I got it home and started looking at things more closely.

Given that I will never use this for its intended purpose as a two man saw, I've been toying with the idea of using it for a chainsaw mill. it's already got that rotating gear head that will allow it to cut horizontally with the engine in the upright position, so it would need a frame and a bar/chain/sprocket. Given that mall chain is pretty much not a thing one can buy, is there some other type of chain and bar that a person could easily modify to fit this saw? It seems like with the right chain on it this engine could do some serious milling.

This one slipped by me. It's not just a bar that you need but a transmission and bar. The reason the bar rotates is the carb has a float in it like a car and won't run on it's side. I'd say it's a poor idea as a mill, they only spin up to 4500 RPM, so you are talking slow. Some of that old chain is very pricey, if you can find it. The engine would probably have value to someone on the chainsaw forum. OOPS, you say it has the rotating gear head, that would be the transmission. Still has more value as an antique than a mill, Joe.

Does the Mall take the same coils as the Disston DA211. I sold my DA 211 last year. I just passed on a Mall 12 at a farm auction. It was complete but I was saving my cash for something else, then wound up getting neither. It sold for $60, Joe.

Latest posts

Back