ArboristSite.com Sponsors

manual transmissions being phased out

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by audible fart, Nov 18, 2010.

1. audible fart

audible fart MS390 OAK CZAR

They used to be called standard transmissions. Now they are becoming rare. I even heard the new toyota 4 runners are only available in auto. I think that's weak. Sometime I wonder, is this phasing out of manual transmissions reflective of what america's buying public wants? Then I start to realize why GM failed, and also have $100 bucks that barack can't drive a 5 speed. But I do laugh when I envision him trying.

2. Marco

Marco Addicted to ArboristSite

I feel like I am arming something when I flick the switch on the Eaton 10 speed. Yeah I know 13 speed, you Cummins boys give me about 40 I'll move it with a Briggs.

3. audible fart

audible fart MS390 OAK CZAR

Other than a special order dump body or tow truck, can you even purchase a manual trans chevy pickup anymore? Not that I've seen. Not that I'd ever buy a chevy again, but that's quite pathetic if it's true.

4. fubar2

fubar2 Addicted to ArboristSite

Thus far Bazook ain't impressed me by being able to do anything.

audible fart likes this.
  5. fubar2

fubar2 Addicted to ArboristSite

That video clearly shows the differences between a man and a boy. They should have brought Obama out in one of them little Midget Motors cars the rest of the clowns ride in.

6. dingeryote

dingeryote Blueberry Baron

Most 6yr old Boys that weren't raised to be a flaming nellie queen can throw better than Baruk.

For cryin' out loud, his own daughters throw less like a sissy than he does.

It ain't a maturity thing. It's an AMERICAN thing, and that filthy son of a Marxist whore wasn't raised AMERICAN, or he wouldn't be throwing like some prissy British princess.

Stay safe!
    Dingeryote

audible fart likes this.
  7. Wildman1024

Wildman1024 Addicted to ArboristSite

You dont want a new manual tranny vehicle anyways cause all the electronics and epa have ruined them. I have been driving standard since I was 9 and will never buy another one unless its older. I have a new 09 tacoma pickup with the 6 speed manual and its misserible to drive and i wish it was auto unfortunately. It's hard to shift threw the gears with the fully computer gas pedal plus when you press the clutch the rpm's hang and dont fall right away to "burn unburnt fuel in the cylinder for emissions". When you pull up to a light and stop and press the clutch the rpm's hang again around 1200 for the same reason. It's not fun to drive anymore like they used to be and you cannot shift fast cause the rpms don't fall when you shift so if you shift it fast it just jerks everything around. I'm disappointed with it.

8. RandyMac

RandyMac Stiff Member

Extreme upper lefthand corner of California
    Bummer dude, crank the way back machine to the mid 1960s on to about 1971, when real cars were made.

9. Swamp Yankee

Swamp Yankee Addicted to ArboristSite

Even the venerable Ford SuperDuty

When I bought my new truck this spring the salesman told me that starting with the 2011 model year the standard transmission would be gone, available on diesel only. It's amazing how many people have never been in a vehicle of any sort with the third pedal.

While I prefer the standard, the automatic tranny doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as the electronic 4-wheel drive control. I'm so used to reaching down and pulling the lever, just can't seem to get the hang of flipping a switch on the dash. That and I like to feel the transfer case shifting in.

Welcome to the yuppification of the work truck. Heck when I was looking in the spring, the dealers just laughed at me when I told them I was looking for a regular cab with an 8 foot bed. wound up with a 2009 leftover with a lot more options than I wanted, but that's what I had to do to get the style truck I wanted.

Take Care

10. got6ponies

got6ponies TREE BLAZER

sign of a pathetic future!
    [​IMG]

11. Wildman1024

Wildman1024 Addicted to ArboristSite

I agree. Any standard after i think 2005 has been ruined by electronics and the epa. The new automatic tranny's arent that bad anymore though. My biggest concern as stated above is the electronic 4x4 control. I would much rather pull the lever like in my jeeps then some crappy switch that breaks.

12. flushcut

flushcut Addicted to ArboristSite

I won't buy a truck with push button 4X4.

13. RandyMac

RandyMac Stiff Member

Extreme upper lefthand corner of California
    I felt the same way about the fuel tank selector switch on my old '81 Ford, it had three tanks, the dammed electronic switch quit telling the fuel gauge that there was gas. I liked the old manual tank valve, hard to screw up.

14. avalancher

avalancher Arboristsite Raconteur

I hear you on that one.I have a Dodge Dakota 4wd with the switch on the dash, and I hate it. The electric gizmo that shifts the transfer case into 4wd is notorious for being finicky in cold weather. Last winter i was slogging my way up a snow covered hill, and I always try and operate on the principle of "2wd to get you in, 4wd to get you out"but seeing as how I had to get to the top to look at a job, I threw the switch into 4wd.Froze solid.After dropping down into a gully, I had to have 4wd just to get back up either direction,and it was no go.Finally had no choice but to stop and build a fire along the road, and after getting a good chunk burning shoved it up by the dang switch to thaw it out.Took me two hours to get that thing thawed out enough to get back out of there.

Got home, and replaced the stinking switch and motor to the tune of $300 and discovered later that winter it did the same thing.Temps below 20 degrees and its useless.Give me a shifter on the floor any day.

15. slowp

slowp Tree Freak

OK, since we've gone political here, why not just put a sticky up that says, everything is the President's fault. If I cut myself out in the woods, by golly it's his fault. Nothing is my fault.

Back to the topic. I read where many car thieves don't know how to shift anymore and have had to leave a manual transmission car in place.

I'm thinking the perfect car collection is to have one of each then if you have to use crutches, you don't have to borrow a car or bum rides.

Del_ likes this.
  16. KD57

KD57 Addicted to ArboristSite

I was fishing a tourny one time and a fellow club member offered to back me down the ramp since I was by myself. So I jumped up in the boat and he got into my truck. After a few seconds, he jumped back out and sd. he can't drive a standard. Geez, the guy was 55 years old !!

17. Rudedog

Rudedog Addicted to ArboristSite

I don't believe that was the implication. However, he is a glowing representation of some of the thinking that is changing the truck market in ways that everyone posted in this thread disagree with.

pipehead likes this.
  18. BlueRidgeMark

BlueRidgeMark Addicted to ArboristSite

Yep. He's the most visible personification of a mindset that IS at fault.

Back to standards: I remember when convertibles were done and gone. No more going to be built. Never again.

That lasted a couple of years. They're back.

Maybe the standard tranny will do the same.

19. bigbadbob

bigbadbob Addicted to ArboristSite

I had a corolla for sale,, 5 speed. First question asked by all the kids is it an Auto??? Man that car was hard to sell because it was a standard, I doubt there are very many kids that can drive a standard these days.
    I hate the auto in my truck!!
    Bob

pipehead likes this.
  20. slowp

slowp Tree Freak

The Chevy I drive at work has one of those Allison transmission thingies. I like it better than a just plain automatic. I like having several lower gears for driving on our steep, curvy roads. I even used it going down the pass when it was snowy. You just have to remember to put it back in DRIVE when on a normal highway. Kind of like remembering to take it out of four wheel drive.

Sometimes, like when towing The Wing, and stopped on a uphill grade, I have wished I was driving an automatic. They are not a bad thing. The auto industry has to build cars that the MAJORITY of people will buy.