Maple tree dropping green leaves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a mature sugar maple in my back yard that has been dropping green leaves for the past several weeks.

It isn't losing so many that the crown is starting to thin, but the ground underneath is spotted with many leaves.

It has a dense crown, and I wonder if it could be that the interior leaves aren't getting enough sun, so they shed themselves. However, I thought I would come to you guys and see if it was something more serious.

We have had a good spring. Plenty of rainfall.

There is a mature red maple right beside it and it hasn't lost any leaves.

Thanks,

Clay

whitenack said:
Hello,

I have a mature sugar maple in my back yard that has been dropping green leaves for the past several weeks.

It isn't losing so many that the crown is starting to thin, but the ground underneath is spotted with many leaves.

this can be common when a tree has put out leaves early in the season due to warm temps. it has recenly been cooler and we have had some decent winds a few times (down here anyway). the leaves this early in the season can fall off easily.
has the tree ever been trimmed? does it have a good amount of dead wood in the interior canopy? have you done anything to the yard (fertilizer, new sod, etc.)?
doesnt sound too serious, but without any type of pic i couldnt say for sure. a light pruning (mainly cleaning of the inner limbs) could be advantageous in this situation!

Latest posts

Back