Marketing Timber/Lumber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpangie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I have a couple of small timber stands that I like to work at and for the most part I cut firewood for myself and relatives. I spend a lot of time (because it is a source of entertainment) doing timber stand improvement work. I have sold off some standing timber, and I have also done some logging myself and had a portable bandsaw mill cut the logs into boards. Obviously the higher value forest product is the board lumber. But I have never attempted to sell wood as sawn boards, I have only sold off standing timber.

Anyone had any experience in this area?

The attractive aspect of selling off board lumber is that I could do small harvests myself at my own pace.

Any experience in this area?

I looked into it and there is a lot of legwork.

The fine woodworkers want only KD lumber, so you need to find a kiln and thatadds like .25/bf to your price to have someone else dry it for you.

There is a market for RGH lumber, but many want it at least S2S. So i was finding people that would take it aridried but wanted it finished.

Thoughs who would except RGH wanted it KD.

We finaly unloaded 250 each of white oak and hard maple to a WoodCraft for around $2/bf. the oak was KD all was RGH 4/4.

The youve got to cut a lot of stickers and roof board so you can stack to dry. Yarding on your own property you can advertise in the papers and make a little cash on the side and actualy pay off the mill in a few years.

Back