Markup On Tree Plantings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

under_the_hill

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What do you recommend for pricing and markup for new tree plantings? I've been doing wholesale + 10% on the tree itself and then a set fee per tree for installation depending on the pot size. Some of my customers have asked for a warranty, so wholesale + 10% won't cover the failures over time.

Also, do you make any changes for installing 2 trees vs 20 trees?

Tree cost plus markup plus salesman's estimate of time to plant (based on standard labour rate). That will account for variation in number of trees. The problem with set fee for installation is variations in property access, access for digging, ability to move the tree are not accounted for.

Does your nursery warranty their stock? If so, then you just have to be confident in your planting skills. Of course, the big out you have is the "improper watering" clause.

Figure your cost first.
Tree, shop time, travel, fuel, labor, soil prep/digging, staking, etc. Hidden costs are everywhere so what hourly rate is profitable at what margin for you?

How bout your time for site analysis, soil test, and consult fee?

You get one chance to properly select and plant a tree.

Thank you BC WetCoast and Jason Douglas. I'll break down my costs same as with the other services I offer. Good point on doing a soil test, smaller jobs I usually test just pH.

Haven't found a wholesale nursery that warrants stock in my area. I'd rather not offer a warranty because I think the customer would be more invested in caring for their trees - and then just handle problems on a case by case basis.

Latest posts

Back