Massive Oak Takedown

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerialist

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This big Oak was a problematic takedown because of it's proximity to the house as well as the large Hemlock it was growing through. The video is pretty rough in YouTube format because of space and length restrictions the original is in full HD and about 20 minutes long.

Shot with a DJI Phantom 3 Professional quadcopter

The first two climbers shown are my rookies. That tree was a major step up for both of them. They did a great job though, not shown was the difficult job of getting that lowest limb out of the Hemlock without damage. It was hollow and two full grown raccoons bolted out of it while we were cutting on it.

The next climber up in top of the tree's canopy was me personally it was so high up that I felt I had to go up myself to judge the cuts and drops rather than try to talk less experienced climbers through it.

Last up was my superstar climber and my Nephew, who has been climbing with me for five years.

AA you still scare the sh*t out of me. Your first climber looked like a scared bear cub the why he was getting out on that limb. Did it occur to you to tell him to tie in higher?
You on the other hand are still the same. Good to see you still one handing it after your accident. Why don't you spend $6 and buy your climber a pair of safety glasses or do you spend that money on your drone budget?

Hauling this tree out took three truckloads just for the trunk we dropped. The particleboard sheets did double duty to protect the lawn and then covered the windows when we ground out the stump.

I thought for sure this guy would have been killed by now. Tho I am pleasantly surprised to not see a car jack.

The first two climbers shown are my rookies. That tree was a major step up for both of them. They did a great job though, not shown was the difficult job of getting that lowest limb out of the Hemlock without damage. It was hollow and two full grown raccoons bolted out of it while we were cutting on it.

The next climber up in top of the tree's canopy was me personally it was so high up that I felt I had to go up myself to judge the cuts and drops rather than try to talk less experienced climbers through it.

Last up was my superstar climber and my Nephew, who has been climbing with me for five years.

Keep both hands on the saw at all times, also why didn't the groundie remove that ladder before the climber started cutting?

Looks like a crane woulda been helpful, makes fast work and safe work.
Don't need no stinkin crane was an easy peasy tree for a competent crew.... yes some of us work with cranes a lot, I work with one nearly every day because the company owns it but I could have done 99% of the work the old fashion way.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

What the **** was that? Holy, bud. Convertible arboriculture. Take the top down.. Go for a ride. 3:30ish is BRUTAL.

Hauling this tree out took three truckloads just for the trunk we dropped. The particleboard sheets did double duty to protect the lawn and then covered the windows when we ground out the stump.

WOW! smooth operators!!! nice vids of the two tree projects... impressive equipment and use of! like the 'copter shots. thank for posting, really enjoyed the show!!!! :)

Back