Mastermind Worksaws Finally Gets More Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are these in Ohio?
yeah those were all in ohio but it gives you an idea of what is available and what some of the stuff should go for. i thought all of those were decent prices for what they were. personally i would stick just stick to a new holland( lots of experience with them and bad experiences with john deere/mf). needles are less than $100 each and timing them is easy. dont be afraid of a rough looking one. mine sat outside for 5 or 6 years. had to cut a tree down to pull it out last summer and in a couple hours we had it up and running like clock work. missed a couple bales at the beginning but after all the rust was off the knotters we didnt have a problem. between me and my employees brother we baled close to 3000 bales with it. sisal twine only in the older balers....they werent designed to use the plastic and in my experience even after tinkering with the knotters still miss too many bales. i will take pics of mine tonite and post them tomorrow so you can see just how bad something can look but still be an awesome reliable baler.

Found this one too. Just got off the phone with the guy......

http://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/5041007902.html
that is a super so the plunger should ride on bearings instead of the wooden rails. $1100 is a bit steep imo for that one but i can see why they are asking that. new knotters were probably $600 plus the labor to install and tune them. I also dont like the short tongues like that one has.

whatever you look at check out the slides on the plunger, knotters for wear and grooves where the ball rides, brake shoes, needles( twine will wear a deep groove in them that either needs welded up or replaced), plunger knives. if the plunger has the wooden slides like a 68 they can be made at home. i used oak to replace mine. the infeed needles are expensive though. made of aluminum and they break easily if you pick up any sticks. a couple of mine were broken when i got it so i made new ones out of a piece of oak too. slipper clutch on the pto shaft also saves allot of headache and time too. its a plus but i wouldnt give any more money for one that has it over one that doesnt.

when you start looking for something to mow your hay....try looking for a cut-ditioner??? they are a flail type mower. indestructable machines that sell for dirt cheap and require virtually no maintenance and they are extremely light weight so easy pull them with a 2wd tractor on pretty steep ground. you can even run over 10" firewood rounds with them and they just chew it up with no damage to the machine. Ask me how i know about that one. downside is that even a 7' cut one requires a minimum of 40hp and will work it to death if the hay is thick.

Like I told my brother seems like a lot of trouble just to wad up some grass. Lol!

My 2c Randy - if there was ever a piece of machinery that benefits the most from being shedded and cleaned carefully at the end of the season, it's a baler. Just something to ask about when you are looking second hand.

Anything in the affordable range may(will) need some tinkering and parts replaced. In that vein, I would look for a baler that has dealer support in your area. I can walk into a New Holland dealer and buy parts for a sixty year old baler.... I had a fantastic John Deere 336 baler that I lost in a barn fire(arson). I had to dig the old NH out of the grave yard and it is so old that it doesn't even have wheel bearings.... There must be forty grease fittings on all the moving parts or it would be long dead. Check parts availability before buying anything but a JD or NH. Lots of orphans out there.

That massey looks like a good one.still plenty of those still in the field around these parts.i'll keep my eye open most around here are still in good shape since rollers have taken over.we have an equipment auction every other saturday up town and equipment is usually given away at cheap prices.
Don't know if your set up with a rake yet but keep an eye out for a new holland rake.draw bar,ground driven is your best bet.all the 3 point hitch rakes i ever used just got in the way.

Back