Masterminded 32:1 mix requirement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baileys full synthetic is excellent oil. I use it in my own saws, if not running one of the motorcycle oils. I ported a 441 that had been used a LOT for milling. The saw was 100% stock, including the carb limiters. It was obvious that it had been HOT...a LOT. But, there was not a hint of scoring. The saw had been run on Baileys full synthetic. That one testimonial was enough to convince me that it's a very good oil. I run all of my saws at 32:1. I recommend to everyone that I port a saw for, that they run the full synthetic oil of their choosing at 32:1, no less than 40:1. 50:1 would probably be fine in most cases, but it's simply not worth the risk.

IMG_4772-L.jpg

IMG_4778-L.jpg

IMG_4776-L.jpg

IMG_4769-L.jpg

IMG_4770-L.jpg

IMG_4768-L.jpg

to me at least..that piston looks smoked. its got blowby almost all the way around rings.

hard to tell anything really, the piston looks wiped off? no pick of underside of piston, mabe that would tell the tale.

if it wasnt wiped off, had hard carobon on top, no soft soot, and burnt carbon on underside, looks like it was in need of more oil, and new rings. rare photos, i think anyway, to catch a piston right before it goes.

-omb

Last edited:
This site is going to cost me more trips to the gas station 30 minutes away that sells none ETH gas. My 5.2 ounce bottle of Stihl synthic used to make 2 gallons of mix in my 2 1/2 gallon can will now only yield 1.3 gallons. Oh well guess I better get some bigger cans:)

Just a couple of early shots from teardown of a Echo PB-500 blower.
they're marked in & ex as you would be facing the cylinder.
Been running Echo Red Armor at 3.5 oz per gal, non-E premium gas

This thing has reeds in the intake and also on the sides of the cylinder
to work as some funky strato setup.
I'm trying to get some decent pics and hopefully do a simple thread on it little later.

Attachments

• R A_0602.jpg
    R A_0602.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 89
  • R A_0611.jpg
    R A_0611.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 83
its a bloody great idea to put that in your sig randy. i was gunna ask if there's anything special to do to run these ported saws. i don't know alot about chainsaws but one thing was i didn't like 50:1. more lube the better i thought so always ran around 25 to 35 :1.
thanks randy for this thread. makes it very clear of what can happen if mix goes a bit too lean.;)

The reason karts used 16:1 is NOT the RPMs they ran, it was the duration the kart engines held those RPMs.

I run 32:1 in all my milling saws because ripping a 30" Oak for 19' puts alot of stress on the bearings. (and operator)

With the new coatings the cylinders would be fine at 50:1 (properly tuned)

I used to run at 35:1 but now I run 32:1 just for easy measuring when it comes to me mixing gas for anything 2 cycle at my house.

I run my sled with Klotz R-50 at 32:1 and it has not had a severe engine failure. I did have 1 engine failure that was not related to oil mix ratio, I had a bad base gasket on a fully ported crankcase that did not have enough clearance and it was causing the engine to run lean and the pistons scraped up pretty bad due to insufficient clearance. Other than that the bottom of the case had a good amount of Klotz in the bottom which I was glad to see even though I have to do a rebuild. lol

I have been wanting to switch from Stihl synthetic for a few months now but have been wondering about what to try next. I hear the R-50 I have will work good? However I'm a huge fan of Bel-Ray oils...I've ran them in my CR500 AF and that motor looked mint on the insides.

The R50 is fine. It burns a little dirtier than belray. Belray bothers my sinuses so I switched away from it. Good oil but I couldn't take the side effects.

The R50 is fine. It burns a little dirtier than belray. Belray bothers my sinuses so I switched away from it. Good oil but I couldn't take the side effects.

I hear ya on that sometimes lol. I had some Polaris oil I was running last year and on a cold start if the wind was blowing right it would burn my eyes lol

Olive Oyl is good!

I prefer Super Techniplate for me saws (original TecniPlate good too)

I came to the conclusion after a nice talk with an Engineer from Klotz.

I had a hair brained idea to make an e85 saw, he recommended the Super T for it's ability to stay suspended in alcohol.

I have put one particular saw through hell milling, it still runs great to this day. It has been fed a steady diet of Mobil 12T then Yamalube2T and for the past 5 or 6 years Klotz SuperTecniplate.

32:1, it was a bean oil blend, bought bulk fuel at the sawshop, they were entirely trustworthy. The smoke smelled pleasently exotic.

Cool! In the 70s until..dang, early 2000s, I just used regular motor oil, for mix oil and bar oil. (at least clean and new not used waste oil...) Then I got hip they had actual products for those uses...the wonders of modern science!

Old mix oil technique, one gallon gas, car oil, glug glug glug maybe another glug, done.

So then, I joined this site, jeez loweez it changes. Lots more saws plus knowledge now on maintenance, care and use. Best thing is, now I can fell trees and it isn't totally stupid, it at least *resembles* some sort of decent face and back cuts..

Wish I had some pics of some of my olden days felling cuts, PLENTY 0 laffs there! hahahaha

Latest posts

Back