Maybe some of you knew him

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rx7man

Cattle Rubbing Post
Reaction score
My friend and neighbor, and fellow chainsaw hoarder Neal Wright passed away on Monday morning.. He did have a username here, but I never knew it.. He was into lots of old stuff, old single cylinder engines and the likes.

He was a wealth of information, always up for a cup of coffee and hours of BSing.. gonna miss him

Very sorry to hear of your loss, a treasure trove of experience and info disappears with the passing of each individual like him.

A like isn't enough. This ^ deserves to be quoted.

I had some great uncles who were old school farmers, woodsmen, & hunters. They had little or no formal education, and didn't rely on technology, yet their collective knowledge was amazing. And most of it is now lost.

Not to hijack the thread, but I lost an uncle Monday. He was 93, a retired army vet with 30 years of service, fought and wounded in WW2. A lot of history gone. All my sympathy to both family's. Tom

Sorry for your loss too, man.

I have a big regret in not writing down over the years all the stories I caged out of my elders, about the great depression, living on their farms, etc. My mom has promised me a good long interview next time I see her though.

Sorry for you loss Tom too... Neal was a saw filer by trade, worked at the local mill, and though he was by no means antisocial, he wasn't a social butterfly either. He had his little place where he tinkered and built scale models (bigger than life scale), one was "The world's largest chainsaw".. which had about a 20' bar, and was modeled after a 2 man saw of old time. One thing that struck me about him, is when you asked a question, he'd always pause and think about his reply... He never blurted anything out.

Some of us are members of the old-school, at least partly, if you think about it. Have any of you found yourself explaining the following to younger guys?

Driving a three-on-the-tree.
Setting the points on car/vehicle engine.
Replacing the water pump and/or alternator "back when" you could actually get to them without partially disassembling the engine. Note--I had a car where the engine needed to be unbolted and lifted in order to get to the water pump that was bolted to the side of the engine block (don't ask what I went through before I learned this :omg:).

I observed Neal`s big chainsaw during my last visit to Lillooet, I didn`t know he had constructed it at that time, it would have been a great privilege to have met him.
There's another guy you gotta meet if you come down this way.. make sure you let me know when you do come around and I'll introduce you.

Three on the tree is archaic knowledge now? lol! Funny thing is, it was about the only design that made sense for trucks where there was only a bench seat. Otherwise the person in the middle, if you got 3 people in there, is gonna get bashed in the knees everytime someone shifts.

My friend and neighbor, and fellow chainsaw hoarder Neal Wright passed away on Monday morning.. He did have a username here, but I never knew it.. He was into lots of old stuff, old single cylinder engines and the likes.

He was a wealth of information, always up for a cup of coffee and hours of BSing.. gonna miss him

Well you have those times to remember, they should bring a smile to your face when you think of him.

Sorry to hear of his passing, was by his place many times working the Botaine Valley.
Lots of neat stuff in his yard.
BBB
That's not Neal's place, that's one of his friends, Kenny (and the fellow I think @pioneerguy600 ought to make time to meet)... Kenny isn't a saw guy, but he's quite a character and fun to talk to.... Like me, he lives in the shop!

Back