McCain Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I here ya...the guy around here was letting me ride up until last year when Johnny T and his crew tipped that crane in Belleville. Now no one round here will let you ride unless you're in the middle of nowhere and definately no pics!!

You can still get some good, safe POV shots though I would think!!

ya next time maybe. It's hard with the crane because it's a rushed KOS

terrible chokers(different in length and twisted up).

you need to wrap them twice or three times then to get them same length. lotta movement coming off the tree with them tops ricky! wear your pov so i can see your cuts in the tree too! if you dont want to use the pov then send it to me.

you need to wrap them twice or three times then to get them same length. lotta movement coming off the tree with them tops ricky! wear your pov so i can see your cuts in the tree too! if you dont want to use the pov then send it to me.

I just adjust one higher than the other. These were real stubborn chokers with twists and was a fight just to get them set up. POV is going in the mail tomorrow. You might have to sign for it. The tree was a tree that was real branchy with long side branches making it difficult to make the lifts bottom heavy. Believe me I don't need any pointers on crane jobs since I got probably a couple hundred done.

couple hundred? thats it? you still a newbie brother!

how much you want for that camera? its still new in the box right?

hmmm. i dont really keep score but ive already got past the couple hundred with the company i am with now and ive been there for 3+ months. i was the main takedown guy at the company i worked before this one too. so for almost three years at a few crane days a week there. and when i first started climbing it was for a company that had a big crane too.

we do a redonkulous amount of crane work at my current company now. rarely is it just a one tree crane day unless its a monster.

i cant give you an honest answer cause i just dont know. must be deep into the thousands......

good question ricky.

When I grow up I wanna be just like you guys. :)

Seriously though: crane jobs are cool indeed, (I've done just a handfull and dont profess to be that great at it) but I gotta respect old school rigging more. There is something about man and rope vs. tree that seems to command the most respect in my book. You have to admit it takes alot more skill to take down a tree without that sort of heavy equipment - and lets be honest, its pretty easy with a crane isnt it??

Not trying to throw fire on yer guys pi$$ing match, I'm just saying.

hmmm. i dont really keep score but ive already got past the couple hundred with the company i am with now and ive been there for 3+ months. i was the main takedown guy at the company i worked before this one too. so for almost three years at a few crane days a week there. and when i first started climbing it was for a company that had a big crane too.

we do a redonkulous amount of crane work at my current company now. rarely is it just a one tree crane day unless its a monster.

i cant give you an honest answer cause i just dont know. must be deep into the thousands......

good question ricky.

holy #### you really are old and dirty!!

that is a lot of crane jobs, more than anyone else I've ever talked to.

I would be lucky to have a hundered crane jobs under my belt and been climbing for 12 years now!

I don't own a crane and always have to transfer the cost to the customer, so most of the time I can still do it cheaper (and actually get the job!) than renting the crane unless I've got a couple big ones set up in one day same area. Don't get me wrong I wish I could use it more but I would lose a lot of potential jobs if I was bringing in cranes regularly....

Maybe one day I'll win the lottery.

:dunno:

Seriously though: crane jobs are cool indeed, (I've done just a handfull and dont profess to be that great at it) but I gotta respect old school rigging more. There is something about man and rope vs. tree that seems to command the most respect in my book. You have to admit it takes alot more skill to take down a tree without that sort of heavy equipment - and lets be honest, its pretty easy with a crane isnt it??

I will agree simply because I don't have the big equipment!!

seriously though I have a lot of repect for both styles and wouldn't say there was more skill in one over the other. Although taking big sections out with the crane does make the balls tingle a bit.:monkey:

lol. not really old but definitely dirty. think about it though. all but one company i worked for had a crane.

been climbing for 6 yrs now.....

just to help you put it in perspective. the company i work for now, the crane op did over 3500 in just around 7 months this past year. ( they had to keep count of what they did.)

i honestly dont know though. i'm just guessing but i do know that its been a few trees removed in my career to date.

i hear you buzzid. nothing like a big manual nasty takedown where its you and the ropeman doing it bigtime. but imagine how many nasties you can bang out if you dont need to wear yourself out and you can put wood to the chipper without dragging the ****. lol.

pissing match? i thought it was a civil conversation?! lol.

lol. not really old but definitely dirty. think about it though. all but one company i worked for had a crane.

been climbing for 6 yrs now.....

just to help you put it in perspective. the company i work for now, the crane op did over 3500 in just around 7 months this past year. ( they had to keep count of what they did.)

i honestly dont know though. i'm just guessing but i do know that its been a few trees removed in my career to date.

all removals for you then OD? no trimming/pruning or just very little?

I was the main climber for a company in Toronto for 2 years and got all the big nasties everyday. I made good money and was in amazing shape but soon started resenting the fact that everyday was hard, hard work. Body started falling apart and that's when I left the big city and now have a small company more geared towards Arboriculture...a good variety of jobs instead of lying in bed every night thinking about the tough day ahead tomorrow!

My point is...I can see how you could pile up a lot of removals if that's mostly what you do and your body continues to hold up! I love the big craner once in while though just to know I've still got it!

to all the big crane removal guys out there...

:cheers:

i hear you buzzid. nothing like a big manual nasty takedown where its you and the ropeman doing it bigtime. but imagine how many nasties you can bang out if you dont need to wear yourself out and you can put wood to the chipper without dragging the ****. lol.

pissing match? i thought it was a civil conversation?! lol.

I get a crane only when there is no other way - or when it just makes the most sense because its rediculous to do it the traditional way.

I'm known for big cuts on takedowns and I usually try to get the chipper right to the tree and have two guys on the ground running two ropes on these cuts. Winch em right in!

I love this job. Friday me and Stubs were ripping this spruce and big white pine down with the new 372, rakers perfect (got two now), this thing was ripping the collars and all off with one cut, like butter. :) I was feeling my Howard Deane, lol.

Sawdustsite.com baby, lol.

all removals for you then OD? no trimming/pruning or just very little?

I was the main climber for a company in Toronto for 2 years and got all the big nasties everyday. I made good money and was in amazing shape but soon started resenting the fact that everyday was hard, hard work. Body started falling apart and that's when I left the big city and now have a small company more geared towards Arboriculture...a good variety of jobs instead of lying in bed every night thinking about the tough day ahead tomorrow!

My point is...I can see how you could pile up a lot of removals if that's mostly what you do and your body continues to hold up! I love the big craner once in while though just to know I've still got it!

to all the big crane removal guys out there...

:cheers:

i can rope climb for sure (and i do love to rope climb) and i do know most of the proper pruning part of this game but its not for me. yet anyway. i cant get that excited deadwooding a tree. as far as falling apart goes sure i can get tired but its just a small price to pay. eventually we all fall apart it just depends upon how bad you treat your body. to be honest i do believe i was made for this world to be in the removal business. 6'6" and 235lbs makes it easy for me to swing a saw around. couple that with proper procedure and i believe i can go on till the day i die. old age or not.

nothing takes pain away like the love for our game as you are well aware. the other day my buddy called to tell me he did an estimate at a repeat customers house and they asked if the guy who was singing in the tree was going to be climbing this time. he laughed. i laugh too, its not work if you are having fun. thats the best part of this game. the fun.

and congrats on your company sir. may it be profitable for as long as you run it. the both of you!

I get a crane only when there is no other way - or when it just makes the most sense because its rediculous to do it the traditional way.

I'm known for big cuts on takedowns and I usually try to get the chipper right to the tree and have two guys on the ground running two ropes on these cuts. Winch em right in!

I love this job. Friday me and Stubs were ripping this spruce and big white pine down with the new 372, rakers perfect (got two now), this thing was ripping the collars and all off with one cut, like butter. :) I was feeling my Howard Deane, lol.

Sawdustsite.com baby, lol.

channeling you inner dean. i like it. nothing like a war cry when sending out the big stuff.

and kudos for you on knowing how to get that big limb to the chipper after it is out the tree. nothing like a winch on the chipper bro.

Last edited:
"Channeling the inner dean". I like it too.

Gotta admit there aint nothing better than singing in a tree when nobody can hear you and the chippers chowing some tree up and making some $$.

Maybe we can get you down this year yet if your into it? be cool to hang out again. now that I got a decent crew going its hard to stay in work this year is the problem. FN economy. At least we've been working steady for a while now. Looks like MDS tree is gonna survive the recession at least. :cheers:

i'd love to come down and a do a tree top duet with you man. it'd be my pleasure and an honor as well.

and glad to hear you got yourself some players that know whats up. thats great.

and let it be known, when i sing its for all to hear! lol.

Latest posts

Back