mcculloch 125 pro the supersaw join in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havvey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Need to shake the forum up a bit (oz flea we know you have alot of knowledge on them) so join in. The 125, pro need to hear stories about the american musle saw. i am looking at them and want one, how do they compare to stihl 090? anyone on here ever use one in its hay day?:cheers:
and thanks to all

Great topic,

Yes i sold SP125c's in their heyday out here in Australia along with it's little brother the SP105. The SP125 was certainly a good match to the 090av Stihl if not a bit quicker ripping logs, i think i would have possibly sold the last of Mac's stock of SP125 & SP105 into the east coast of OZ and no doubt had not Mac finished them off i would have sold more.

I've decided to add a little more to my story, i was a Mac dealer in the late 70's into the 80's, trained by McCulloch at Seven Hills in Sydney and coloured black and yellow inside and out.
Little did i realise that these would be some of the best years of my life as i travelled the Aussie bush selling and servicing Mac products, i preferred their more professional products didn't mind farm saws but loathed the comsumer saws pity for thats the way the market went and when the local pro saw market shrunk years later when the mining idustry stopped using timber underground and a lot of local loggers and timber cutters had to find new imployment.

I just feel priveleged to have been part of those days wheelin and a dealin in big saws. Another big saw of Mac's i sold was the PM 1000 and was only asked to service and repair one i had sold in 1980 the other day and since i had a few bits left in my shed i got her fired up and going again for one of my old customers who loves Mac's as much as i do. PS it needed another piston and barrel.

Personally at the present stage i own 3 of these beasts all 125's with reassembling the last one yesterday from components i have imported so today i'll fire her up as i have already just tickled the carby with fuel and she fired staight away so today i'll refresh the carby add a little fuel and see what happens when i yank her cord. There's nothing i repeat there's nothin like the sound of a big Mac first thing in the morning i can tell you.

Just love em till death do us part.

I have two of the 3 saws shown on my web site.

McBob.

mypm2.jpg

pm1000.jpg

sp125hh.jpg

McBob125a.jpg

Dscf0002me1.jpg

Dscf0002abc.jpg

Last edited:
I would say that the 125 has to be the baddest stock saw ever made I have about 15 of them.They will out run a 090 and save 10 lbs to pack around!

Here's my 3 125's, the SP125c was fitted with chainbreak were as the 090 was withdrawn because their chainbreak proved not to be effective enough out here in OZ.

McBob

big1.jpg

big2.jpg

And here's the top falling saws of my era the SP81, SP81e, pm8200.

big3.jpg

Last edited:
Isnt' the PM 1000 a partner? How does it compare to a husky 2100,(same displacement)?

Yes Mow your right the PM1000 is a Partner P100, The PM1000 Australian version had a half wrap handle and a flocked airfilter plus an improved Auto oiler as our fine hardwood sawdust was proving to be a real problem when they were first released into the Australian market. But the PM1000 proved popular with the farmers and besides that i made sure the price was hard to beat.

As regards comparing the P100 and the Huskie 2100 i cannot say but i would imagine performance would be very similier after all they were both made by Elux.

McBob.

ozflea said:
Here's my 3 125's, the SP125c was fitted with chainbreak were as the 090 was withdrawn because their chainbreak proved not to be effective enough out here in OZ.

McBob

big1.jpg

big2.jpg

And here's the top falling saws of my era the SP81, SP81e, pm8200.

big3.jpg

hey oz thos 81's & 105's don't stand a chance on that 125:jawdrop:

mac daddy

MacDaddy said:
I would say that the 125 has to be the baddest stock saw ever made I have about 15 of them.They will out run a 090 and save 10 lbs to pack around!
glad your back may need some parts for a 125 if and when i ever get one was tired of all this stihl husky stuff needed to change the subject:cheers:

I have run the saws mentioned but have not worked a full day with any of them. The 125's are pretty stout but they are a reed saw and the 090 is not. They are both heavy and slow (RPM) comparied with a newer big saw. The vibration is pretty noticeable on each also. The compression release is needed on either. The 090 had a wind vane governor, and when defeated, it made that saw come alive. When a little out of tune the Mc is very difficult to start. Many old fallers commented on how much of the morning time and energy was sometimes used getting them started. Having said that though they, to a man, have fond memories of them. The favorite was the 125 Mc Kart. When Mc put that engine into the saw they had a saw loggers bragged about. The 2100 Homelite had its followers too. Still we are better off today with the lifetime ignitions over the old point saws for most uses.

Paul Smith from Oroville Saw & Mow phoned me the other day and wants to sell his 101 Mac's. If anybody's looking for one give him a call at 530-534-3120.

"I have run the saws mentioned but have not worked a full day with any of them. The 125's are pretty stout but they are a reed saw and the 090 is not. They are both heavy and slow (RPM) comparied with a newer big saw."

At least their not gut screaming wonders and have heaps of torque the real advantage of the old reed valve engine over piston ported stuff but time marches on and reed valves as far as saws go are gone except i see that some of the bike saws use reed valved engines.

I suppose that had Mac started using Electronic ignition a few years earlier some of the pull till ya blue stories wouldn't have been so interesting.
Electronic ignition certainly made saws more consistant in starting but i feel that just like the automotive industry in being slow to change over as money was being made from servicing. But a well maintained and correctly set breaker point ignition unit is still easy to start.

McBob.

Does anybody know the hp. rating for the MC.125? I have seen hp.ratings for the 090 as high as 13 on Mike Acres site. Just curious.

Do I reeeaalllllyy need a saw that big?:)

ozflea said:
Yes Mow your right the PM1000 is a Partner P100, The PM1000 Australian version had a half wrap handle and a flocked airfilter plus an improved Auto oiler as our fine hardwood sawdust was proving to be a real problem when they were first released into the Australian market. But the PM1000 proved popular with the farmers and besides that i made sure the price was hard to beat.

As regards comparing the P100 and the Huskie 2100 i cannot say but i would imagine performance would be very similier after all they were both made by Elux.

McBob.

I have a partner P85 with a modded muffler, it's a real powerhouse. How does the mac 125 compare to the homelite 2100 or dolmar 166. I've never even seen these saws but would love to hear how they compare in timed cuts.

hoss said:
Does anybody know the hp. rating for the MC.125? I have seen hp.ratings for the 090 as high as 13 on Mike Acres site. Just curious.

Do I reeeaalllllyy need a saw that big?:)
I would say they are both around 10 HP but the 125 makes the power at a higher rpm than the 090

MOE said:
I have a partner P85 with a modded muffler, it's a real powerhouse. How does the mac 125 compare to the homelite 2100 or dolmar 166. I've never even seen these saws but would love to hear how they compare in timed cuts.
I would say a realy good tuned 125 would just edge the other saws out but not by much.Now if you muffler mod and filter all these saws I would say the 125 would win by a bigger margine

In their day or time the SP125 was the saw to beat i suppose now 25 years later their still a force to be reconded with and with the advent of new piston ported saws like the 2100 and 3120 huskies and the 088 stihls their days are done, mainly because of a lack of spares.

Out here in Australia the hardwoods are hard on saws and the fine saw dust has ruined many a saw, and the demand for big saws has dwindled Mac foreseen this coming in the late seventies as when i heard that they were finishing off big saw production it was a rather sad day. The market is still there for big saws but not the demand like there used to be as i used to average 3 to 4 big saws a week plus a heap of farm saws as well in Mac's.

There were 3 categories.
1. Mini saws or consumer saws up to 40cc.
2. Farm saws up to 80cc
3. Pro saws 80cc to 123cc

And now days they recon a 60cc saw is a big saw WOW how the worm has turned.

Mc Bob.

I don't know what you mean by 22hp, but good to see this old thread again.

I like big McCullochs

I had to add my $0.02. I am just a firewood cutter but got interested in the SP125 after reading about it in the "Old Giants" thread. I have one at home now with a 32" hard nose bar, as well as a 740 (99 cc) with 32" hard nose bar and a 1-85 (95 cc gear drive) with 32" hard nose running 1/2" pitch chain. I bought a second SP125 today sight unseen, hope it is half a nice as the one I already have in my possesion.

If I need to run a saw for more than an hour or so, I will probably pick up a Jonsered 910 or 930, or for all day cutting my Stihl 036. But when you get a big log, it sure is fun to exercise the big kit.

Mark

Back