McCulloch 35 - found in Grandfather's barn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treegump

Reaction score
"Starter pawls are froze up" - what's that mean?

My grandfather left behind a McCulloch 35 and I'd like to get it running...or at least cleaned up for my father. We have stihl chainsaws, and a Poulan, but it'd be cool if I could get this thing going. It has the manual oiler and seems to be all together still. I can't pull the handle, and grandfather either stopped using it because A) the spark plug stripped out or B) the piston froze up . Either of these sound familiar? I'll try and get more pics of it later.

Sorry about no sig - I, personally, only have a poulan...and even then I don't know what model. I'll try and get more info later.

The spark plug thread being stripped out will not prevent the saw from turning over, on the contrary.

Looks like the saw is seized (piston locked up) or there's something wrong with the starter. You'll have to find out which is the cause before we can help you further.

Take the starter assy off and try to turn the flywheel over. If it's still locked, pull the muffler and tell us what you see.

The spark plug thread being stripped out will not prevent the saw from turning over, on the contrary.

Looks like the saw is seized (piston locked up) or there's something wrong with the starter. You'll have to find out which is the cause before we can help you further.

Take the starter assy off and try to turn the flywheel over. If it's still locked, pull the muffler and tell us what you see.

ok, thank you!

Put a dab of brake fluid in the plug hole and let it sit awhile it may help free it up if the piston is stuck.

I hope you can get it fixed and running! I have my grandfather's 35 and it still starts on the 2nd-3rd pull everytime. It's a great old saw. You just have to take your time and respect it greatly. If you use it how it was designed to be used, it's great,.... Try and run it like a new saw and you might get hurt. The engine torque is unbeliveable!:greenchainsaw:

Back