McCulloch 840

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pollock777

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can any body tell me about this saw it has a 56 inch bar how much is it worth? It will probly need the carb rebuilt. And it's on e-bay. Thinking of buying. Tony

I am looking for a big saw also and saw the one you are talking about. I decided to not bid because it has a McCulloch carb. and I don't know the availability of kits. That is not to say you can't get them, it means that I don't know if they are available. Tom

Big macs

I live in Pacific NW Old Growth country, back in the golden days of logging real big timber was common: Fir up to 8 ft. or so at the butt, Spruce 12 ft. or more, and the big cedars. Big saws with big bars were the rule. Lots of big Macs were used, along with the old Titans and others, but starting in the late 60's the king of all saws was and still is the 090 Stihl, which I have a couple. Second choice for the fallers in the 70's and 80's was a Stihl 075 or 076 which I also have a few of these fine saws. Most guys now like lighter saws like 56's, 66's, 88's, etc.

I have several big McCullochs in the collection. Including a couple on the same frame size as a 840. This 840 on Ebay with the 56 inch bar is a very, very heavy saw (37 pounds for the powerhead alone, probably 20 or so pounds for the bar and chain), and it will wear you out. Picking this thing up and making the proper undercuts for falling a big tree takes a lot of muscle. The 840 is a gear drive, 6.03 cubic inches, and suffers from slow chain speed. Old Macs can be cranky to get to run right. You gotta run the mix at 16 to 1 or burn up the saw. You do not need this type of saw unless you are falling and bucking trees over 6 ft in diameter, and you must be a good saw mechanic to keep them running. Even then, a new 088 with a 42 inch or longer bar will handle any 6 ft tree you can find! I have a good collection of spares for my old Macs, and the parts for the 6 cubic inch and up Macs are very, very difficult to find. Points and things are easy to find on Ebay, but clutches, clutch covers, filters, etc, are rare. Most old saws have suffered from to much screwdriver time on the low and high speed adjust jets and the seats in the carb are damaged, requiring a new carb. Another common problem is the fuel pump diaphragm in the carb is shot, and must be replaced in order to get fuel to the carb. Coil failure is common, I have spares for my old macs.

Another bad thing about the old gear drive saws is they are non-forgiving regarding kickback: That gear reduction just will not stall the engine!! Five feet or so of bar running agressive chain takes a good bit of experience

My suggestion: If you are a serious collector, and plan on putting the saw on a shelf, then by all means bid. But, if you want a saw for big timber, up to 5 or 6 ft diameter, then buy a new big stihl or husky that runs the chain at high speed. If you get into anything bigger, then just buy a longer bar.

New saws are light, plenty of HP, and with the correct bar and chain (well maintained chain that is) will handle anything you will run across, plus you can get the darn thing fixed if it breaks. This is especially important if your job depends on a saw!!

Last edited:
Tony, the saw has a 6.03 cubic inch engine. I have a 1-76 which is the same displacement engine but a direct drive saw. The carb parts are readily available, and if you need them just send me a pm. I would estimate the value of it as an old chainsaw needing repair at about $40.00. However, the guys into go-kart racing will easily pay $100.00 just for a good powerhead from one of these saws because they use them for race engines.

Thank You

Thanks Guys For all the help I'm giong to pass on this saw.Tomtinker I respect that you were not going to bid against me. Thank you. Ancient One Thank you for all the info about the old saw. I think I'm just going to wait and buy a 088. I'd like to get an 090 but the people on e-bay go crazy with bidding. Can you still get parts for 090 like jugs, pistons, rings, carb. kits,and on. I'd like to own one, I past up the chance when I was younger to buy one and kick myself everyday. I can thank my x-wife for that. How much does an 088 new run with 41" bar? I got price of $1640.00 if not can an one point me in the right direction. Thanks again Tony:)

Pollock777 said:
Thanks Guys For all the help I'm giong to pass on this saw.Tomtinker I respect that you were not going to bid against me. Thank you. Ancient One Thank you for all the info about the old saw. I think I'm just going to wait and buy a 088. I'd like to get an 090 but the people on e-bay go crazy with bidding. Can you still get parts for 090 like jugs, pistons, rings, carb. kits,and on. I'd like to own one, I past up the chance when I was younger to buy one and kick myself everyday. I can thank my x-wife for that. How much does an 088 new run with 41" bar? I got price of $1640.00 if not can an one point me in the right direction. Thanks again Tony:)

The 090 fall's into the same catergory as the 840 it to is getting a little hard to get parts for and is a saw that is a bit on the heavy side to be dragging around the bush. 40 years has seen big changes in saws buy something new.

Mc Bob.

Parts for the 090 are getting tougher to get. The 084/088 is a better choice for daily use. I have a few here. I will post a pic of some of them.

Bill

You said that you have McCulloch carb parts. I have a 797 795 and an 840 if you have diaphragms for these carbs please contact me at [email protected]
Tony, the saw has a 6.03 cubic inch engine. I have a 1-76 which is the same displacement engine but a direct drive saw. The carb parts are readily available, and if you need them just send me a pm. I would estimate the value of it as an old chainsaw needing repair at about $40.00. However, the guys into go-kart racing will easily pay $100.00 just for a good powerhead from one of these saws because they use them for race engines.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back