McCulloch Chain Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JnyQst

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a McCulloch CS 38 EM 16" (MS1635). First off, why is the model # on the sticker different from the model # on the side of the chainsaw? That drives me absolutely crazier than I already am. :dizzy:
It's an older chainsaw (2003?) so trying to find an OM at McCulloch's website is impossible. The original chain wore out so I just went to Home Depot and got an Oregon chain for time sake. It fit it good. Come to find out I had the chain tension wrong. Too loose. Last week I was using it to cut up some logs and the chain came off. Now when I go to put it back on I run the bar all the way out and can't even get the chain on the bottom of the bar to touch it.
What happened? I know chains can stretch but this is ridiculous. What do I need to do now?
Thanks,
JQ

I came to this site for help. Criticizing my purchase from 13 years ago does nothing to that point. If you would like to fund a "Fund Me" account to help me acquire a Stihl or Husqvarna, that would be helpful.

Yes it does have a chain tension screw. It's on, what I would consider to be, the inside of the bar. I ran that all the way out & the chain was still sagging.

Either the new chain was originally too long (most likely) or it really stretched. Can you show us a pic of the bar with the chain sitting on it now?

Why don't you just have your local small engine shop take a link out of the chain? I have one of those little saws, use it for cutting brush and the like. The reason my numbers don't match is because I took a starter assembly off another saw and put on this one. One said 2.0 and the other said 3214 so I just removed one of the labels. Wouldn't matter to me but I might sell it some day...

There's no way the chain stretched that much if it ever fit/worked at all. Look to see if the adjuster tab is properly engaging the hole in the bar. It should take 3/8 lo pro 54DL. There's nothing wrong with Oregon chain.

Both original & replacement chain have 56 links. Tension screw does need replacement, I stripped it out through all this after I had issues with the chain so I don't believe its the original culprit. Could be a contributor though.
At this point I'm thinking after getting tension screw replaced of getting a new chain & see if the problem persist. That would at least tell me if its the chain or saw.
Thanks for all the help.

Both original & replacement chain have 56 links. Tension screw does need replacement, I stripped it out through all this after I had issues with the chain so I don't believe its the original culprit. Could be a contributor though.
At this point I'm thinking after getting tension screw replaced of getting a new chain & see if the problem persist. That would at least tell me if its the chain or saw.
Thanks for all the help.
According to the Oregon Chain Selector ( http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/lookups/selguide.aspx?BusId=OCS&SellReg=USA&LangId=ENG ) it should be 54DL. 2DL longer is probably outside the adjustment range, so after it stretched you ran out of adjustment.

Goober...table for one.
Thank you so much for all your suggestions.
As ChrisPA pointed out it is a 54 link not a 56 like I thought. I took out the original chain & counted the links & low & behold there are only 54. Not exactly sure where I pulled 56 out of other than the chain I bought is 56.
Thank you so much for your help. Excuse me now while I go sit in the corner & bang my head.
JQ

Goober...table for one.
As ChrisPA pointed out it is a 54 link not a 56 like I thought. I took out the original chain & counted the links & low & behold there are only 54. Not exactly sure where I pulled 56 out of other than the chain I bought is 56.
Thank you so much for your help. Excuse me now while I go sit in the corner & bang my head.
JQ
Don't beat yourself up. Duh moments happen to everyone. Some of us even admit when we are wrong (sometimes).

Glad you were able to figure it out. You can have someone shorten that chain to 54 DL for a couple of bucks.

Goober...table for one.
JQ
Lol, I usually have to count drive links three times until I get a good number.

Back