McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No MAC cutting today - just dragging logs and a tiny bit of off-brand cutting. Not a total loss, however, Brian Thacker and I went through a box of MAC pieces. I am hopefully that I put all the pieces in the box and that Brian can work some of his magic. It is dangerous when he and I get together - too many shared MAC ideas and he has the ability to make them a reality.

I also made another NOS MAC purchase today - not a saw but something I think is pretty cool. Can't wait to get it.

s-l1605.jpg s-l1606.jpg
s-l1607.jpg
Ron

Ron - I have one like that and would love to have a copy of the manual/instructions if you have access to a scanner or copier.

Mark

No problem. I'll make you a copy when it gets here.
Have you used yours? If so, is it pretty straight forward? I have a well used (not by me) Foley Belsaw spinner and separate punch. I usually have a wrestling match with the chain when using the punch.

Ron

No MAC cutting today - just dragging logs and a tiny bit of off-brand cutting. Not a total loss, however, Brian Thacker and I went through a box of MAC pieces. I am hopefully that I put all the pieces in the box and that Brian can work some of his magic. It is dangerous when he and I get together - too many shared MAC ideas and he has the ability to make them a reality.

I also made another NOS MAC purchase today - not a saw but something I think is pretty cool. Can't wait to get it.

View attachment 559094 View attachment 559095
View attachment 559096
Ron
I too have one of those breaker spinners so if you could spare a manual copy I would be very grateful!

I too have one of those breaker spinners so if you could spare a manual copy I would be very grateful!
Funny thing is, mine doesn't say Mcculloch anywhere on it. It came from a friend of mine who dealt in Mac saws during the 300 600 series stuff

No problem, if I can scan and post it. Otherwise you will need to pm a mailing address or email address.

Not sure when I will get it as seller didn't seem to be in any hurry in our dealings.

Have you used yours?

Ron

No problem, if I can scan and post it. Otherwise you will need to pm a mailing address or email address.

Not sure when I will get it as seller didn't seem to be in any hurry in our dealings.

Have you used yours?

Ron
I have attempted to, I know how it works and it's pretty neat but I never bolted it down to really try it. I have an Oregon and a stihl breaker both that I had before I got the mac one, so I never bolted it down.

The spinner is simple to use, but the breaker on mine would only be good for 1/2" pitch chain; the backstop does not adjust down far enough to back up smaller chain sizes. Mine does have the McCulloch logo cast in. Guess I'll have to get some photos.

Mark

According to the instruction sheet there are two sizes of anvils that come with the tool. I had the seller check for both before I bought it. If you need some pictures or dimensions, I'll post them once the tool gets here.

I wish I was half as talented as you McGearheads. I dropped off a non-running SP125C with Brian yesterday afternoon. He just sent me this video. I hope the box of parts goes as well. And I hope he doesn't shoot me for posting his video.

Ron

I'm new here so yell at me if this is the wrong spot, but Im trying to figure out what model this old mac I inherited from my father is. I'm thinking of rehabbing it and getting it back in working order, mostly for nostalgic reasons but I need to start with knowing what it is! Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
I'm new here so yell at me if this is the wrong spot, but Im trying to figure out what model this old mac I inherited from my father is. I'm thinking of rehabbing it and getting it back in working order, mostly for nostalgic reasons but I need to start with knowing what it is! Any help appreciated.
You're in the right place.

Yes you are, and to start with, we're going to need the numbers off the bottom of the block, they should be stamped into the casting. Post them up

Dominic - Super series, RH starter, no automatic oil pump (visible anyway), black AF cover; looks like a 1-72 or 1-76 to me.

As noted, get the numbers off the bottom and add a photo of the front of the saw showing the top of the oil tank. Remove the AF cover and get a photo of the carburetor too.

Mark

It does look like my 1-72..., in a bit nicer shape.

Question on the 10 series (points style) washers behind the flywheel: Three part numbers are listed in the IPL's and one is the felt washer (67056). The other two are 67057 and 67054 respectively. They appear to be super thin plastic washers that don't seem to do much but insulate the felt washer from direct friction between the back of the flywheel and the points cover. Question is, are they the same washer with a different part number for the difference in their location, or are there two separate washers with different functions? I ask because I recently got a couple more 10-10's in a box and while sorting through the carnage noticed that none had all three washers, but all had one of the thin plastic ones. I would assume all three were there originally and had been lost or damaged over time by folks fiddling with or replacing the points. (I'm also rebuilding a different 10-10 (and my SP81) and would like to use the right washers.)

So, way too long of a post for a simple question. What's the difference between the two thin plastic washers, if any? (#26 does look slightly larger in the illustration.)

Untitled.jpg

It does look like my 1-72..., in a bit nicer shape.

Question on the 10 series (points style) washers behind the flywheel: Three part numbers are listed in the IPL's and one is the felt washer (67056). The other two are 67057 and 67054 respectively. They appear to be super thin plastic washers that don't seem to do much but insulate the felt washer from direct friction between the back of the flywheel and the points cover. Question is, are they the same washer with a different part number for the difference in their location, or are there two separate washers with different functions? I ask because I recently got a couple more 10-10's in a box and while sorting through the carnage noticed that none had all three washers, but all had one of the thin plastic ones. I would assume all three were there originally and had been lost or damaged over time by folks fiddling with or replacing the points. (I'm also rebuilding a different 10-10 (and my SP81) and would like to use the right washers.)

So, way too long of a post for a simple question. What's the difference between the two thin plastic washers, if any? (#26 does look slightly larger in the illustration.)

All the ones I've ever fixed just had one washer as well

Thanks so much for the replies. Before I posted I looked for numbers on the bottom and I couldn't find any - I even wiped it clean and took it in good light. Do I need to remove something to see these numbers? Here are some pics of the carb. The only numbers that I was able to find on it anywhere were the carb part number (21-94) and a number on the choke. 55589 is stamped on the underside of the air cover as shown as well. I have included a pic of the front as well.

Again, thanks everyone. I figured it was possibly a 1-72.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    913.3 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Could the carb be from another saw (i.e. are there others that fit)? In my novice opinion, my initial impression was that the carb looked newer than the saw did but I wasnt sure if it was just well taken care of.

Latest posts

Back