McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FIELD TRIAL HITS A SNAG.

I guess Randy wounded my saw's pride.

404 is a bit heavy for the 82cc, better performance is with full comp, square bit 3/8''.

We had heavy rains and thunderstorms last night so it was too muddy to cut in the woods but it made for a perfect day to whittle on the log piles at the wood lot. So I took the .404 equipped 800 as log piles are what inspired me to try this set up. I took on a pile of logs fresh from a large Red Oak brought down in last night's storms to conduct the first real trial. Cut great and at a nice pace for me but before I could finish the first tank of fuel the sprocket exploded and the clutch splines took out four drive links of my new chain. Not having a spare sprocket and chain mean the trial was done for the day. I had to finish up with a massaged 59cc X brand. After three chains, I was reminded anew of why I really hope the .404 800 works.

As most easterners know a green Red Oak is some fine cutting. A good 60cc with a sharp chain on a 20" or less bar will go to town on one. Of course the grit in the crotches and mud will go to town on round chisel.

Ron

All I could find of the sprocket.
IMG_2302.JPG

I sure wish the USPS hadn't destroyed that MAC breaker and spinner I brought a few months back.
IMG_2300.JPG

Don't know. I lost mental track of my 125 inventory. It was nice and clean so I thought it was new. Oregon IIRC. Not that it correlates, but this is the third sprocket in three weeks for the cutting crew. Neither of the others was .404. I believe they were both Stihls. If not, then one Stihl and one Husky. Ron

I bought a nice super 6-10a a few years ago that "doesn't cut well" I was told. I tried it and low and behold, it didnt. I was told it needed sharpening or a tune up. Well it ran well and the chain WAS sharp. However the chain was also .404. Amazing the difference 3/8 made on that poor little 70cc saw. It had a 28" roller nose bar, full wrap, and was a clean saw. Oh yeah, man is it light.

Well I got the 380 out for a run today, ran a tank through it working the log pile bucking firewood. Let me tell you, you'd have to be a lot tougher dude than me to run one of those saws all day. One tank of fuel and I'm whipped!!!!!!!
39b96ce3d0e077ddf8cc3c780f0052be.jpg

Yea, after running this today, I don't think I'll be running the 440 with the 32" bar for fun very often lol [emoji12]

Turned out to be a damn good looking saw, too.

Thanks for the kind words, I don't normally repaint/restore saws because I like to see the wear and the battle scars, but this one was such a basket case when I got it that I had to. Honestly it probably would have been better to make it a parts saw but I love a challenge. It ran great today after I did a little tuning.
Now I see how my grandfather had a heart attach at 51.

I see oversized pistons on eBay for mcculloch saws. I picked up a Mcculloch 200 yesterday and it looks pretty rusty inside. This piston is above the port so I can't tell how bad it is. This got me wondering. When someone goes from standard bore to say 0.20 oversized. Do they just hone it out to take up for the 0.20? Or does it typically have to be sent out to be re-bored?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Needs to be bored to the proper clearance for the piston.
You'd be there for a year trying to hone out .020"

Most places cannot bore a closed head cylinder. A nominal bore bar has a tip on the end of it that will not let them go to the top of the bore. I have used a company in WI that can do it, not sure what they would charge. I can give you there information.

Brian

Most places cannot bore a closed head cylinder. A nominal bore bar has a tip on the end of it that will not let them go to the top of the bore. I have used a company in WI that can do it, not sure what they would charge. I can give you there information.

Brian

Thanks for the information. Right not I don't have any oversized pistons. I bid on two that are cheap but I'm sure I will get outbid.
With that information in mind. I will just wait and pull my cylinder and see if it just need honing. This project is very far down my priority list right now. I have about 10 saws or so ahead of this one. And a truck to repaint.
I am mainly just curious as to what's all involved. I will probably use my block with a removable head if I win the auction for one of these pistons.

Got the DE80 out today. A storm blew down a pine. We got 48' until it got down to 13" diameter. Not bad. This wood will become a shed over the mill.

The DE80 ran fine as you'd expect. I rarely use it because it just seem as strong as the 80,81,850 saws. And they're heavier than the old ones.

ef5b92da89f4335d4a528d3a661c2a0c.jpg

This wood pictured on the right is actually white oak. The line is just out of the pic.
8b1a87c5473963a77027919ca9191c8a.jpg

So I was cleaning up the 380 last night after putting the aforementioned tank of fuel through it last weekend bucking firewood (the most I've run it since completed) and I found a disturbing amount of fine sawdust had made it past the air filter. I double checked to make sure the filter was seating right and that the fuel line was a tight fit to the air box. What am I missing? Is this normal for these oldies? I will put up picks in a while.

Back