McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been getting ready for the Baraboo Steam and Gas show, plan on running some more saws this year. Ran my Super Pro 81E, Super Pro 125, Super 550, and 1-62 today. Broke the starter rope on the 1-62, and had to put a new sprocket on the S550. Also plan on running a 890 I just got, decent shape, rebuilt the flatback carb (successfully), just waiting on some 'new' old chain ;)
Watch your raker height on the 890. I ran my 895 with 60" bar in a 55" log yesterday and found the stock rakers way too high. Depending on the wood and size, I'd say at least .020 down makes sense with .404 chisel.

I'm going to be running a 32" bar and 1/2" Oregon chipper chain on it. Never ran 1/2" before, should be fun! It's got a 2:1 gear reduction on it, and the primer works on it too.

I will have to pressure test the carb for sure. I don't have a reliable way to check the compression (wrong gauge), and seeing as the saw is extremely low hours, and I could still being able to see most of the machining marks on the piston, it should be fine compression wise. I figure the spitback is due to so much excess fuel from the carb. Pressure testing carb is up next.

Get a new OTC gauge.

Been getting ready for the Baraboo Steam and Gas show, plan on running some more saws this year. Ran my Super Pro 81E, Super Pro 125, Super 550, and 1-62 today. Broke the starter rope on the 1-62, and had to put a new sprocket on the S550. Also plan on running a 890 I just got, decent shape, rebuilt the flatback carb (successfully), just waiting on some 'new' old chain ;)
Is there a thread for Baraboo this year? I haven't come across one yet...

Not that I know of. The usual keeper of the thread is McC, and I haven't seen him on here since last year. I think Mr Heimann might have to take the torch ;)

There is a vintage saw display in one corner of the Badger Steam and Gas show, coming up this Friday, Saturday, Sunday 18, 19, 20 August 2017.

There are "races" on Saturday starting at noon with two man saws, direct drive, gear drive, and hot saw classes. Direct drive and gear drives are split in under/over 5 In³. Scott is trying to keep the number of entries to a reasonable number for the races so the event doesn't drag on all afternoon so come one come all but try to limit yourself to one or two entries in each class. I don't expect him to post a thread before Saturday but I will put up some photos if I remember to take some this year.

Mark

So I just got done making my chain, putting it on and as I start to take up the tension, the chain gets a little 'jumpy'. I'm thinking, 'what the hell, there's no way it's a .404 sprocket, could it be bigger?' I got a 1-81 on the shelf, sprocket looks smaller than the 890, so I run the chain over that sprocket - it runs smooth. Ok, time to swap sprockets, great. It was a bit of a pain getting the sprocket off the 890 because it didn't have a pilot in the end of the drive shaft, so my usual sprocket puller wouldn't work. Luckily, I had another puller with a flat end on the shaft. I got it off, and as I flip it over and look at it, there it says 9/16! I don't think it's ever had a chain run on it, like new shape. Kinda neat, maybe someday I'll find some chain to use it on ;) Tomorrow will be testing time for the 890!

Ok guys, I'm still having some problems with my Tilly hl carb for my 250. Got a rebuild kit installed, with the exception of the brass part that the needle rides in (no socket). Saw still doesn't have high rpms and spits out way to much fuel into the air box. I have a lake inside it after a couple of minutes running. What is there left to do? Could it still have something to do with an air leak as I never did a pressure/vac test on it?
8fcb398eb614b4c60134cccb905c859d.jpg

You need a 1/4" drive deep well socket for the brass seat. Sounds like the metering lever is too high, try it bending it down a little, maybe a 1/16". Did you take out the welch plugs? They can be a ***** to get out but might be something blocked up under there. Oh, get an ultrasonic cleaner, every carb I rebuild gets a bath in mine.

I took the bar and very worn 5/8 chipper chain off my 77 and changed it to 9/16 chisel with a roller nose Remmington bar today, will be interesting to see how it works. I find most of the sprockets will eventually come off the gear drives if you just keep prying. The 77 has the points box in the way so there is no easy way to use a puller, levers to the rescue.

The 77 is a hard runner...

DSC03017%20(1).jpg

Mark

You need a 1/4" drive deep well socket for the brass seat. Sounds like the metering lever is too high, try it bending it down a little, maybe a 1/16". Did you take out the welch plugs? They can be a ***** to get out but might be something blocked up under there. Oh, get an ultrasonic cleaner, every carb I rebuild gets a bath in mine.
Ok, I will try lowering the lever some more. I have it flush as per instructions. I did not take out the welch plugs yet for the very same reason as you listed lol. Try the easier solutions first and will ultimately end up taking the carb apart at least a dozen times. Part of the game of CAD i guess.

Mark - That 77 is awesome, can't wait to see it. Are we going to have some big wood for the gear drives again?

M&H - Just about everything I work on takes me a dozen tries ;) Just remember, you can always shelf it and buy another one, they made MILLIONS of them! That's the best part of CAD.

Back