Mcculloch Titan 70 questions/advice!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

championadam

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just picked up a Titan 70 in very strong running order for cheap.

Can't find a manual anywhere online (I know this saw is pretty obscure).

What I would like to find out (if anybody knows anything about these saws) is:

What the correct spark plug is (came with a Champion DJ8J)?

What is the max suggested RPM?

Any pointers would be ace!!

This thread fascinates me. One of my friends has one. They are rather rare and so are the parts for it. He constantly tells me that he wants me to restore it. I've been told that it's also heavy, slow, and beautiful. Kind of a mixed bag and great for an antique collector.

Thanks for that!

Sadly I don't think the IPL features either the spark plug, or the maximum RPM. The IPL is literally the only thing I can find online about this saw...

This thread fascinates me. One of my friends has one. They are rather rare and so are the parts for it. He constantly tells me that he wants me to restore it. I've been told that it's also heavy, slow, and beautiful. Kind of a mixed bag and great for an antique collector.

It isn't very heavy at all really. I don't know that it's exactly beautiful either! :D

It makes an absolutely incredible sound though. Best sounding saw I've used for as long as I can remember.

It isn't very heavy at all really. I don't know that it's exactly beautiful either! :D

It makes an absolutely incredible sound though. Best sounding saw I've used for as long as I can remember.
His might be a different model number and perhaps earlier. There were several made, and there's not a stitch of plastic on it. Old saws are always beautiful in the eyes of the right beholder. :)

Ha, no that's not a Titan 70.

The Titan 70 is an Italian Mcculloch from the 1980s (I think). It's quite modern in construction. Definitely not what I would call 'beautiful'!! :D

starter.jpg

clutch.jpg

The Titan 70 is a modern, mostly plastic saw made in Italy by (I think) Emak for McCulloch. It has a quad transfer-port layout similar to the Husky 395.

Stock they don't quite make as much power as a Stihl 440 or Husky 372 since the intake/carburetor design is more choked down and the air filter is not as good.
It's a partial "through transfer" design that uses a piston with windows. Modified/ported and fitted with a Husky 372 piston, they make a good runner.

View attachment 443772

Maybe you can get it tuned perfectly so you can use a tachometer to record the max rpm.
Note that these specs say nothing about high end maximum RPM or recommended spark plug. I say under 11,000 at WOT. Several plugs sold today would work.

I think OP has a good saw. I bought my Mac 5700 for $80 after a guy found it ready for pickup by the trash hauler. He needed cash and all it needed was a clean up. The engine runs perfectly.

Note that these specs say nothing about high end maximum RPM or recommended spark plug. I say under 11,000 at WOT. Several plugs sold today would work.

I think OP has a good saw. I bought my Mac 5700 for $80 after a guy found it ready for pickup by the trash hauler. He needed cash and all it needed was a clean up. The engine runs perfectly.

No info on spark plug huh? Maybe you should re read it. Why does the rpm info matter if it is tuned right?

This made me think of one of my favorite quotes....
"Happiness is having good eyes and a bad memory".
That's a goodie. And, BTW, the RPM info doesn't mean much in my case either because I use my ear on the top end and make sure the chain doesn't move much (maybe a creep) at idle. There's a dozen threads here that address tuning a saw engine at WOT.

Back