ArboristSite.com Sponsors

McGuire Stoves burn wood smoke free, plastic, tires, green wood too !

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by davidbradley360, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Chris-PA

Chris-PA Where the Wild Things Are

Yeah, that was kind of inevitable in this thread, as there is serious lack of actual information about how the stove is supposed to function (diagrams, etc.). That leaves speculation and opinion.

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu Hey you woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!

Wow,,,,,,,, some discussions seem to get rather "spirited" here.
    I just signed up yesterday, hoping to gain some useful knowledge. Hope I didn't make a mistake.

Dragfluid, 99.99% of the time, this a great place to hang out, but once in a while...I think everybody just has cabin fever and plain tired of winter now.
    Welcome to the forum!

v8titan, Whitespider and blacklocst like this.
  3. CTYank

CTYank Have saws, will travel

In fact, there were and maybe still are. Prof.Richard Hill UME Orono built a wood-chip burner for the Audubon Center in ME. Very hot, vigorous burner, sent exhaust into a network of small flues in a gravel bed, for heat storage. Don't remember how he drained the collected moisture. **** Hill also developed some very interesting, efficient wood-fired heating systems like the Dumont boiler.

No mention was made back then on burning wet wood. Likely he knew better.

He never mentioned "burning" the water either. Knowing full well that'd be like "anti-gravity".

4. Dragfluid

Dragfluid ArboristSite Lurker

I read the whole thread. I can understand why he wouldn't want to put the whole banana out there until he's got it perfected and protected. And I can also understand the skepticism.
    One thing's for sure,,,,,,,,, I'm going to keep an eye on this. There's talk all over the web about it, not just here.
    Thanks for the welcome, guys. I'll try to behave. :)

5. Cerran

Cerran Addicted to ArboristSite

Look around the web again, you see the same posts at a bunch of different forums and the same claims. It looks like a single guy or maybe a couple guys trying to drum up capital for a business but what I see from a realistic perspective is a lack of real information about the system.

I see no test data, fuel data etc which is a red flag to any real investor and should be a red flag to anyone wanting to purchase one. I can understand not wanting to release design details, that is fine, but you damn well should have real world test data.

6. dieselfitter

dieselfitter ArboristSite Operative

Guerrilla marketing.
    Now that these guys have re-invented the wood stove, whats next?... 100 mile per gallon carburetor?

Steve NW WI likes this.
  7. Cerran

That was the claim back in the day, the problem is the benefits never materialized. I suspect the claims here are much like the 100 MPG Carb claims unless some test data materializes to prove otherwise.

8. Dragfluid

Dragfluid ArboristSite Lurker

Oh,,,,,,,,,,,, OK.

9. Chris-PA

Chris-PA Where the Wild Things Are

Yeah, the Fish carb was a scam. You needed to put a magnet around the fuel line and one of those air vanes things in the air cleaner.

10. Whitespider

Whitespider Lost in the 50s

I can't speak for everyone... but with that line, you did a damn good job of speaking for me‼

11. zogger

zogger Tree Freak

Frogs are out peeping, saw a hoppy toad last night, got green grass poking up (cows will be happy soon..), daffodils and corcuses (croci?) coming up, and etc.

Of course the weather guessers are saying maybe snow next week or T storms or tornadoes or some such other spring surprise action. And tonight back down in the 30s so back to wood heat. Had like two days off there.

Standing in the yard looking at rototiller, then the mud pit..I'll wait...

12. Whitespider

Keep rubbing it in zogger... keep rubbing it in... you'll get yours, I'll see to it :D
    The way it's startin' to look up here I won't be seeing mud until friggin' May.

stihly dan likes this.
  13. zogger

zogger Tree Freak

I do get mine, I get mud and cowstuff soakers. My 60 buck TSC alleged waterproof boots have multiple splits and cuts now. Went back today and go WTH, got these for me birfday last November and now they are useless. What is the warranty on these ? "One month" Swell, just swell....

Then they want to upsell me to 130 buck Muck brand boots..uh huh. I can get actual for real bonafide rubber boots from husky that are layered aramid/kevlar whatever chainsaw cutting boots for a benjamin. Guess I will just start getting those (well, another pair), at least you can patch rubber. I have yet to find any way to patch these modern plastic boots.

Anyway, single digits to teens here is like 20 below to you guys, like you said, what you get used to. I can work just fine 80s to 90s. Teens here, I get what chores need doing done quick and back inside for more hibernatin....

14. Whitespider

Buckle overshoes zogger, buckle overshoes... even today, they're still the best slop-'n'-muck boot made, and they come whistle-clean with a garden hose LOL

15. zogger

zogger Tree Freak

Haven't had any of those since I was a kid...

..if I got some, have to buy some shoes though...LOL

16. Whitespider

Naw... ya' don't need shoes, your work boots will slide right in 'em.
    What ya' do is slip an empty bread bag over your work boots first... they'll slip right in.

17. stihly dan

stihly dan Addicted to ArboristSite

Go To the kuuma website, There computer is a lot like yours, you could see it in action on a furnace.

18. 1project2many

1project2many ArboristSite Operative

100 mpg carb? Maybe you're thinking of the famous 200 mpg carb made by Pogue in the '30s. But the inventor never claimed that result, or even half as much. He actually said the figures quoted in magazine articles were "violently distorted." Check CARS magazine, Sept 1953 issue for interview (of sorts) with original inventor along with several good diagrams of this fairly complicated piece of machinery.

The Fish carb was not a scam. That one was developed in Agawam, MA across from Riverside Park ( now Six Flags). The grandson of the machinist that developed it was a fireman in Westfield where I spent plenty of time in my youth, and he knew my mother's boyfriend, an automotive machinist. The Fish carb was not developed as a super mileage carb. It was a very early variable venturi carb with few moving parts. It was intended to deliver more consistent air/fuel mixtures than needle and jet designs with low restriction to airflow. It was often tried by racers although no one in the vintage racer crowd that I know runs one today. BTW, no magnets or air vane things were required.

I've never built a working model of the Pogue but I have built "phase change" carburetors. There's quite a lot of science to making it work correctly and well. Kind of like building a truly clean wood stove.

19. vanhalenps4

vanhalenps4 ArboristSite Lurker

There's a huge amount of automotive technology out there that we surely don't know about or isn't offered in certain areas.. Just look back in history and remember how it always repeats itself.. Rockefeller spent big money to prove the Edison light bulb was more dangerous than kerosene, so he could continue to sell a bunch of kerosene. At the same time kerosene lit homes were burning down all the time.. Clean diesel hybrids are the future but I think they wanna sell every last drop of gasoline the earth can bare before selling more efficient diesel cars in America. 40 miles to the gallon is supposed to be special now from a 25k dollar gas hybrid.. A diesel VW Rabbit did better than that back in the 80s. The big 3 automakers were always in bed with the oil industry. Making the biggest, heaviest cars with carburetors, V8s and no overdrive gear because gas is cheap and endless... right. Meanwhile BMW was about 20 years ahead with their EFI inline 6-cylinders and 5 speeds, independent rear suspension, lightweight everything... Where do you see lightening holes punched in trunk hinges? on race cars? Yeah there.. Or on your grandpa's 85 3 series sedan.

20. Cerran

Compare the performance and safety features of a 1980's VW rabbit to a modern hybrid. It's not the same animal.

Regulations are to blame for the lack of improved gas mileage, not being in bed with the oil industry.