ArboristSite.com Sponsors

McGuire Stoves burn wood smoke free, plastic, tires, green wood too !

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by davidbradley360, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Whitespider

Whitespider Lost in the 50s

Keep rubbing it in zogger... keep rubbing it in... you'll get yours, I'll see to it :D
    The way it's startin' to look up here I won't be seeing mud until friggin' May.

stihly dan likes this.
  2. zogger

zogger Tree Freak

I do get mine, I get mud and cowstuff soakers. My 60 buck TSC alleged waterproof boots have multiple splits and cuts now. Went back today and go WTH, got these for me birfday last November and now they are useless. What is the warranty on these ? "One month" Swell, just swell....

Then they want to upsell me to 130 buck Muck brand boots..uh huh. I can get actual for real bonafide rubber boots from husky that are layered aramid/kevlar whatever chainsaw cutting boots for a benjamin. Guess I will just start getting those (well, another pair), at least you can patch rubber. I have yet to find any way to patch these modern plastic boots.

Anyway, single digits to teens here is like 20 below to you guys, like you said, what you get used to. I can work just fine 80s to 90s. Teens here, I get what chores need doing done quick and back inside for more hibernatin....

3. Whitespider

Buckle overshoes zogger, buckle overshoes... even today, they're still the best slop-'n'-muck boot made, and they come whistle-clean with a garden hose LOL

4. zogger

zogger Tree Freak

Haven't had any of those since I was a kid...

..if I got some, have to buy some shoes though...LOL

5. Whitespider

Naw... ya' don't need shoes, your work boots will slide right in 'em.
    What ya' do is slip an empty bread bag over your work boots first... they'll slip right in.

6. stihly dan

stihly dan Addicted to ArboristSite

Go To the kuuma website, There computer is a lot like yours, you could see it in action on a furnace.

7. 1project2many

1project2many ArboristSite Operative

100 mpg carb? Maybe you're thinking of the famous 200 mpg carb made by Pogue in the '30s. But the inventor never claimed that result, or even half as much. He actually said the figures quoted in magazine articles were "violently distorted." Check CARS magazine, Sept 1953 issue for interview (of sorts) with original inventor along with several good diagrams of this fairly complicated piece of machinery.

The Fish carb was not a scam. That one was developed in Agawam, MA across from Riverside Park ( now Six Flags). The grandson of the machinist that developed it was a fireman in Westfield where I spent plenty of time in my youth, and he knew my mother's boyfriend, an automotive machinist. The Fish carb was not developed as a super mileage carb. It was a very early variable venturi carb with few moving parts. It was intended to deliver more consistent air/fuel mixtures than needle and jet designs with low restriction to airflow. It was often tried by racers although no one in the vintage racer crowd that I know runs one today. BTW, no magnets or air vane things were required.

I've never built a working model of the Pogue but I have built "phase change" carburetors. There's quite a lot of science to making it work correctly and well. Kind of like building a truly clean wood stove.

8. vanhalenps4

vanhalenps4 ArboristSite Lurker

There's a huge amount of automotive technology out there that we surely don't know about or isn't offered in certain areas.. Just look back in history and remember how it always repeats itself.. Rockefeller spent big money to prove the Edison light bulb was more dangerous than kerosene, so he could continue to sell a bunch of kerosene. At the same time kerosene lit homes were burning down all the time.. Clean diesel hybrids are the future but I think they wanna sell every last drop of gasoline the earth can bare before selling more efficient diesel cars in America. 40 miles to the gallon is supposed to be special now from a 25k dollar gas hybrid.. A diesel VW Rabbit did better than that back in the 80s. The big 3 automakers were always in bed with the oil industry. Making the biggest, heaviest cars with carburetors, V8s and no overdrive gear because gas is cheap and endless... right. Meanwhile BMW was about 20 years ahead with their EFI inline 6-cylinders and 5 speeds, independent rear suspension, lightweight everything... Where do you see lightening holes punched in trunk hinges? on race cars? Yeah there.. Or on your grandpa's 85 3 series sedan.

9. Cerran

Cerran Addicted to ArboristSite

Compare the performance and safety features of a 1980's VW rabbit to a modern hybrid. It's not the same animal.

Regulations are to blame for the lack of improved gas mileage, not being in bed with the oil industry.

10. vanhalenps4

My point was that efficient vehicles have been around for a long time but the US manufacturers will put somewhat (un)impressive numbers out there very proudly, like they reinvented the wheel. but ok, for perspective, we'll compare very similar animals(same U.S. safety standards, both 5 seater hatchbacks)... Obtainable vehicles, 8 years old.. The aveo cost around 12k, gti around 19k. A 2006 VW golf tdi is rated at 31/40 mpg , you could run on used vegetable oil, also a high quality machine that will last 300k miles if loved and cared for... The best mpg competition from Chevrolet was the Aveo 5 that is estimated at 22/32 mpg. They offered(and continue to offer) zero diesels in anything smaller than a full size work truck.. It's also worth mentioning that most of their lineup achieved less than 20 mpg highway. This is at a time when gas was well over 4 dollars a gallon. Chevy jumped on E85 ethanol like a dog in heat, but did nothing to offer a diesel alternative. Ethanol may be less per gallon but uses up to a third more to go the same distance. Tax subsidies went to the corn farmers that grew for ethanol, so Chevy must have been in bed with them(politicians in the middle) this time, but I think big oil was in the corner watching with a camera.. Either way we continue to get screwed... I don't even want to get started on Range Rover and their gas V8s vs. turbo diesels they get in Europe.

11. blades

blades Addicted to ArboristSite

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::sucks:

12. 1project2many

The Aveo is decidedly unimpressive for mileage. I have two. They are very powerful for a 1.6l engine and they have more room than you'd expect, but my '82 Cavalier got 10 more MPG and even my '80s Mercedes diesel goes farther on a gallon of fuel. The Aveo's are cool for one thing, though. Like the carburetors mentioned earlier, they're the subject of high mileage myths and rumors. 40mpg!!! Right! I'm going to be selling both of mine as we move along into tax season.

There's a local man with a steam powered S10. Maybe we can convert it to wood burner to beat the miles per gallon game completely.

13. Whitespider

That's a silly myth, and total bullcrap.

First of all, you seem to use the lack of diesel alternatives in this country to support that view. C'mon man, diesel fuel is made from the same oil as gasoline... with a lot less investment, time, complication, liability and risk. The reason there were no diesel alternatives is because people in this country flat would not buy 'em (that's changing now). You can't seriously believe an automaker wouldn't jump on an opportunity to grab a market share the others didn't have?? That's ridiculous. The people in this county loved their big, fast, powerful, wheel-spinning cars. My family has been in the car business since the 60's... back in the 60's and into the 70's car salesman would take the customer out on a country highway to squeal the tires and see how fast the car would go through the quarter-mile. That's how ya' sold 'em... that was the American culture... not the European culture. In the mid to late 70's several imports tried marketing diesel powered cars in this country; I was working for a Peugeot/Fiat dealer at the time, you couldn't even get customers to look at a diesel... let alone test drive one. Those diesels sat on the lots until they finally had to ship 'em back.

And second... why would the oil industry get in bed with automakers? Gasoline is only a small fraction of what oil is used for... and it is, and always has been, the product with the lowest profit margin. Heck, most refineries don't even produce gasoline, only a few do (it requires blending of refined products)... but nearly all produce fuel oil/diesel (it is a direct refined product).

Your "conspiracy theory" has been around for decades... but where's the proof of it??

Chris-PA likes this.
  14. Chris-PA

Chris-PA Where the Wild Things Are

Well, I was really making a joke. The very best any fuel system can do is to provide the correct fuel mixture required by the engine and the power output required of it. You cannot "make" and engine get better mileage than that. Variable venturi carbs are another viable design, but do not in general produce better economy or performance than properly designed fixed jet carbs.

It's important to compare apples to apples. If you compare a direct injection gasoline engine of similar power output to a diesel that isn't allowed to pollute like heck the differences are not that great. If the GDI is turbocharged (again at similar power output) it would be even closer.

Customer expectations of luxury and performance are what is to blame, not regulations or really the oil industry. Also, you cannot make just gasoline or diesel in the refining process, and you can only adjust the proportions by small amounts. So if everyone used diesel then they would still be making gasoline and it would become cheap. That has in fact happened several times, were the US was getting the rest of the world's surplus gasoline for cheap.

Whitespider likes this.
  15. Whitespider

Well said... and with very few words.

16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu Hey you woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!

My 1988 Ford Tempo 2.3L MPFI, with a 5 spd trans got 40 MPG running 50 miles each way to work, 2/3 of that being highway...Oh, and it had enough power, but not zippy like modern cars. It would do a pretty good smoky burnout from a dead stop though!...in case anybody cares...
    There are quite a few vids on Youtube of woodgas powered vehicles

17. Steve NW WI

Steve NW WI Unwanted Riff Raff.

You are incorrect, sir. The Cruze turbodiesel has been out for going on 2 years. It may well be my next commuter car, we'll see how they fare long term first.

Meanwhile, hang on folks, we're gonna take a little ride over to off topic. If I were ornerier today, a case could be made for shooing this off to Political.

18. vanhalenps4

I stand corrected.
    Ok so Chevy put out a turbo diesel car for U.S. consumption in 2014(or '13).
    This is the main branch of general motors, who used to sell an estimated 30 different models of car, truck, van, etc. at a time. They didn't have the foresight to sell a diesel car or even put it on the option sheet in the U.S. until recently... But Europe has been rocking Chevy diesels for who knows how long...

"Now Chevrolet has drawn on General Motors' global reach to combine its proven 2.0-liter diesel from Europe with the familiar Cruze midsize sedan to deliver unprecedented 46 mpg highway fuel economy, a 700-mile range and powerful torque in an affordable package."

GM has never been ahead of the curve.. And that's why they went bankrupt. I don't know how political this is and I don't think I can even get into that section.. we'll get back on topic

So can I put lava rocks somewhere in my stove and have any benefit from it? It's a '79 Defiance with a baffle plate and secondary chamber, no fiber mat or anything on top of the plate which I've just found out about... Could I put some form of lava rock on there? It doesn't have to be cheap rock if it'll boost efficiency I'll pay for it.. Any tricks?

19. Cerran

Cerran Addicted to ArboristSite

Diesels were not available due to...... You guessed it, government regulations. None of the euro diesels in the past 15 years could not meet the more stringent regulations on particulates and NOx.

20. 1project2many

Sorry for missing that. With so many stories, legends, and randomly grabbed facts surrounding some of these devices it's sometimes hard to tell a joke.
    Correct mixture today is a nominal value based on chemistry with a few exceptions that still must meet emissions standards. The correct mixture when the Fish was invented covered a much wider range. Low load, low throttle operation was expected to be as lean as possible while high load conditions could be well under 12:1. Intake charge routing would preheat fuel and air considerably to aid lean operation while max vacuum advance would be set based on the pre-ignition limit. A highly emusified mixture was part of the key to obtaining best lean economy and the Fish attempted to do this without the restriction caused by a fixed venturi. I think it was a reasonable effort for what should be considered an amatuer invention.

You do know about the debacle caused by the 5.7 Olds diesel, right? People wouldn't venture within a mile of a GM dealership after owning or knowing someone who owned an early version of those engines. There were several other diesels too but GM buyers never really liked the diesel.

Yes! I can get you some pre-heated rock infused with alien metals that will encourage combustion by a technology that is yet to be identified! This is not magic, folks. It's simply science we don't have technology to prove or understand.