me and my ten year old when before the leaves turned

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iustinian

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Took my munchkin out climbing one day before the leaves turned color. She's ten, and has a blast doing it.

climbingwlex3.jpg

climbingwlex2-1.jpg

climbinglex6.jpg

climbinglex5.jpg

climbingwlex2.jpg

climbingwlex1.jpg

climbinglex4.jpg

Nice pics. Im sure you made quite a stir in the park there. Good to see you doing stuff with your kid. Ive got 5 and it seems like theres not enough time in the day to spend with them. :)

Nice pics. Im sure you made quite a stir in the park there. Good to see you doing stuff with your kid. Ive got 5 and it seems like theres not enough time in the day to spend with them. :)

so true....never enough time.

She's been climbing with me since she was 7, only recreational climbs, no work lol. We usually get several spectators, some approve, some don't. She knows the knots, and can tie them, and I usually have her climbing line belayed to my harness in case something happens.

She loves it, and definitely brags to her friends and shows off the pics.

We have a favorite tree we like to climb, the one in the pictures...its a giant oak, each time we climb in that tree, she goes a little bit higher, and swings out a little bit more. :rock:

Way to bogart that park tree. :rock: She's ten? Why did you wait so long?

Sarahclimb2002.jpg

She starting to cry when I asked her what took her so long. I told her I wasn't paying her to piss around and waste my time. I told her she has to produce or I'm gonna bounce her just like the last jackass, this ain't daycare anymore.:D

so true....never enough time.

She's been climbing with me since she was 7, only recreational climbs, no work lol. We usually get several spectators, some approve, some don't. She knows the knots, and can tie them, and I usually have her climbing line belayed to my harness in case something happens.

She loves it, and definitely brags to her friends and shows off the pics.

We have a favorite tree we like to climb, the one in the pictures...its a giant oak, each time we climb in that tree, she goes a little bit higher, and swings out a little bit more. :rock:

ehh, the ones that don't approve probably got girls for boys and boys for girls who at best can operate an iphone , need help peeling oranges and think sweat is an un-natural body function. Nice work dude, the SATs should be a breeze.

Don't worry about them naysayers in the park, its her mother you are gonna catch hell from.

Last edited:
funny pic and comment you posted.

Her mother made me wait till she was seven, and she really didn't know the first few times we went out -- she's "comfortable" with it now, but still wags the disapproving finger once in a while hahaha.

thanks ya thanks ya! she's a really sweet, patient, helpful, and adorable little girl....no bias or anything hahahaha

Dude get a helmet on your head to set the right example for your daughter, Get one on her head because she is irreplaceable and you would never forgive yourself if she got hurt! That being said- I'm sure you created a great memory for your daughter that will last forever. And get out there with her more before friends and social activities become more important to her than awesome time with Dad!

funny pic and comment you posted.

Her mother made me wait till she was seven, and she really didn't know the first few times we went out -- she's "comfortable" with it now, but still wags the disapproving finger once in a while hahaha.

Tree climbing is not for me haha. When I go deer hunting I am in a 6 foot stand and it still makes me worry a little. Thats good to take your kids out climbing at such a young age. Then they defiantly won't be scared to climb in the future.

Nice Job. I've been working with my 10 year old, but she's having trouble getting the hang of the body thrust with a blakes and drt. What climbing system did your daughter use, and did you help? The last time out, I tried to get her to use a foot prussik loop, but that didn't work well either. What systems work best with kids?

Nice Job. I've been working with my 10 year old, but she's having trouble getting the hang of the body thrust with a blakes and drt. What climbing system did your daughter use, and did you help? The last time out, I tried to get her to use a foot prussik loop, but that didn't work well either. What systems work best with kids?

Got my 8yr old on DRT with a Blakes hitch and a foot pantin. It allows them to use their leg muscles and hold position while advancing the hitch. It also gets them ascending fast and easy so they feel successful immediately. And dont forget to tell her what a great job she is doing and how proud you are of her!
Also climbing along side of her and showing by example is great- remember low and slow, keep her in her comfort zone

We started out with Blakes, and she absolutely hated it. hahaha. She likes VT and distel, same as me, but she's very fond of the ascenders -- Ascension and Pantin. This spring I'm going to have her try RADS/srt.

Dude get a helmet on your head to set the right example for your daughter, Get one on her head because she is irreplaceable and you would never forgive yourself if she got hurt! That being said- I'm sure you created a great memory for your daughter that will last forever. And get out there with her more before friends and social activities become more important to her than awesome time with Dad!

Well said Scrat, I second that. At the very least get her a helmet, explain the importance of safety to her. Protect the melon, life can be changed in an instant.

Latest posts

Back