Measured squish today, pleasantly surprised

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubletrouble

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I was messing around in the garage today and just out of curiosity I decided to pull the muffler and plug from my Timberpro saw just to see how it looked. The piston looked great, no scoring at all. Had a nice "polished" look to it. The plug was a perfect light brown. Just for kicks I took some solder and fed it into the spark plug hole all the way across to measure squish and was surprised to find it was at .33! From what I've read that is right on for a non high performance saw. Being this is a Chinese made sawni expected much less but I was happy to see what I found. There is definitely some gains to be made from a muffler mod and possibly some light porting later but for now I'm going to leave it be.
Just wanted to share my findings with you all here on AS.

Squish sets the compression
Porting does the higher performance
Muffler mod lets it breath

Pull the base gasket
Muffler mod
And you will be tickled pink

Get the squish around .020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at it, it should be an easy mod to pull the base gasket. The muffler on the other hand, not so much. I may have to cut it apart and weld it back together. The only down side is that there is a 2 year warranty and I'm sure the mods will void it. So for now I'm on the fence on the mods......lol

I've read your entire thread Chris. You've done well with your clone. I may venture into mine further, I don't know a thing about the timing on a 2 cycle engine though. Would you know roughly what my saw is a clone of? Maybe I could look up some info on the original design to learn more. There does seem to be alot readily available on my specific model from Timberpro. It's a cs-6150. Thanks for all the info thus far.

I've read your entire thread Chris. You've done well with your clone. I may venture into mine further, I don't know a thing about the timing on a 2 cycle engine though. Would you know roughly what my saw is a clone of? Maybe I could look up some info on the original design to learn more. There does seem to be alot readily available on my specific model from Timberpro. It's a cs-6150. Thanks for all the info thus far.
Yours is based on the Zenoah/RedMax G5000, but it's been bored and stroked and has open transfer ports rather than closed. I'd guess the port timing is rather different, so the only way to know is to use a degree wheel.

Damn - now I'm thinking about cutting the squish on mine! On the other hand it starts and runs so well, idles perfectly and never stalls. And still pulls a 25" bar. Probably I should just leave it alone.

I'm still waiting for the 24" bar/chain to show up for mine. I have a 30" (approx) oak that's been down for some time. I'm saving it until the 24 incher arrives.

Knowing that your does well with the 25" I have more confidence in mine and am looking forward to it.

Knowing that your does well with the 25" I have more confidence in mine and am looking forward to it.
Well, it is a different engine and saw design, and uses different bars, so I'm not sure the experience transfers - but hopefully yours will do well with it!

It seems to do just fine with the 20". Maybe after trying the 24" I'll be more inclined to mod it. Time will tell.

Back