measuring moisture content in firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:greenchainsaw: Hello fellow forum members, i have some questions about my wood moisture meter that i just got today as a birthday present. What is the ideal moisture percentage for seasoned firewood? I sell the following types of firewood (i'll list them in case it depends on the different types)I sell walnut,elm,locust,oak,hickory,osage orange,and apple.My girlfriend bought me the new meter,and she didnt even know that i have been wanting one,pretty thoughtful huh? Anyway thanks for any input on these questions.................SCOTT

Well first off HAPPY BIRTHDAY :cheers:, the girlfriend must know you well in order to give ya something ya wanted without asking, sounds like a keeper! :clap:

What brand did she get for you?

Ted

I think he said It is a CEN-TECH WOOD MOISTURE METER w/ 2 pins.

yup, missed that... I guess I missed it when I got all teary-eyed :cry: about a girlfriend who bought a present he actually wanted and didn't ask for..... sure beats getting a tie or money clip..... :cheers:

Ted

Interesting bits in here from the Deprartment of Energy

Energy Savers: Wood and Pellet Heating

Sodboa,
Thanks for the useful information.

The info found on the link to the DOE was a mixed bag, though (imo).
No useful information on what seasoned wood is and/or its benefits.
Same tired information on having someone else clean your stove/flue.
Misinformation on the number of times you need to inspect your catalitic combuster during the course of a heating season. -Who in their right mind would pull and check their combuster 3 times a year?
(It's been my experience that once a season is quite enough. Any problems you might have with your combuster can be detected by temperature readings and/or excessive smoke from the flue, ensuring, of course, that seasoned wood is being burned.)

Latest posts

Back