Media Cat Chain Letter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Review: STIHL POWER EQUIPMENT WORKSHOP REPAIR MANUAL on DVD ROM Stihl Power Tools Disc (eBay)

Screen shot 2015-05-16 at 9.18.19 PM.png

eBay is full of offers for discs like these: "PDF FORMAT. . . over 540 manuals. Completely Loaded with illustrations, instructions, photos, and diagrams, complete to service and repair your chainsaw. . . . EXTRA Bonus - over 220 manuals". Mostly offered from Australian sellers. Some sellers even offer different versions, which is confusing.

Thought I would check one out. Total cost about $11 with shipping. This seemed like the right thread to post my comments.

Disc received was a recordable DVD with a nice, printed graphic. I could be wrong, but it does not appear to be an OEM STIHL product. Looks like someone copied the info and printed these up to sell. Listing contains a notice: "Notice to eBay This auction abides by eBay’s listing rules and polices. No trademarks and or copyrights have been violated. We are either the publisher or an authorized distributor." which makes it look legit. Might be a loophole?

This disc showed up blank when loaded in a Mac. Listing description states: "SORRY NO MAC UNFORTUNATELY", although, I have seen some listings that appeared to include a Mac logo. I thought I might at least be able to access the PDF files. Nope.

I rebooted in Windows XP and was able to explore the disc (did not load the software). After rooting around the files, I did find a large number of STIHL Owner's Manual, Service Manuals, Catalogs, and other technical information. The titles on many files were not clear, so without loading the software, finding the correct manuals could be hit-or-miss.

*More importantly, much of the data appears to be from 2003.* Before purchasing, I messaged a few different sellers about the publication date of this disc, and got vague answers. The listing I purchased from is technically correct if you read it carefully, but it is easy to read more into it. Caveat Emptor!

Bottom Line: if you are interested in an alternative to the Media Cat, have a Windows computer, and are happy with 2003 data, these might be an OK deal.

Philbert

Hey guys, I'm still looking for the 2012 of newer MediaCat. I have a bunch of Cd-Rs and DVDs, I would be glad to send out at least a handful once I get a copy.

Thanks.

I need a copy of Media Cat. I can PM my address to someone who has the latest version. Thanks GUYS!

Hey, I recently lost our in house mechanic, and I'm trying to fix the driveshaft of our ht101 pole saw myself. However it seems pretty intricate I was wondering if the mediacat might help? Thanks

is there a newer media cat circulating? i'm wanting as current as it gets. tried to get it from my buddy who's a dealer but he's to "by the books" to convince.

Not a sticky and you're attitude exhibits a bad look. Stand down.

Displays a severe lack of poise, fortitude, patience, character, charity, and downright laziness if you already have a copy but expect us to send you another one because you can't "locate" yours. May have better luck askin' someone you actually sent a copy to...., yeah, right.

No workaround for the expiration thing in v5.x yet, but I do know someone who is sifting through over 500,000 registry entries trying to find it just so Stihlofadeal can get his panties out of his ass..

You presumed I received my first copy here, I did not. I received it from a dealer friend at the time. There has been a changing of the guard there at the dealer now. I came here looking for a copy of Media Cat, that's it. Actually the copy was for a young man who is starting saw repair shop at his house. My intention was to give it to him free to help him along. You are correct, I never received or sent any copies connected to this thread. The profanity laced reply was unnecessary sir. Thanks anyway, have a good day.

Was any of the above? No. I've been supporting this effort for years and took exception to a request that clearly demonstrated a sense of entitlement by someone whose intentions were clearly self-serving with no indication that the spirit of the process was anywhere in his universe. And my responses get deleted? Profanity laden?

Silly me.

And yeah, offer still stands to anyone else in need.

Anything else?

Yes, they were deleted for obvious reasons. A simple request to the forum for the intended purpose of this post and you jump all over the guy for no apparent reason. Put yourself in his shoes for a second. I don't think he was being disrespectful or condescending despite what you may have interpreted.

Call it however you want, I'm looking in from the outside and just think you are acting obtuse. I'm not going to sit and argue about it. You might have a lot of time in this thread and that's good for you but don't jump on someone and use inappropriate language when they are here asking for something this entire thread is based on. Regardless is they have lost a copy or not. If you want to discuss this further we can talk in a PM. I don't think our actions are unreasonable.

Back