Metal Shelving to Chainsaw Mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm in the process of converting some old metal shelving into a milling table (for lack of a better name). I laminated up a beam from three pieces of 1/2" plywood, but I may still use the metal cross piece as a guide. The last picture is me being an idiot, trying to lift a leaf cover off the pool with a small tractor. More pictures to come!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 135
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 139
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 141
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 145
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 125
Looks like a good start, I can't wait to see more.
The pool cover - I'm sure you have it figured out by now but down on the farm we drop a cheapo sump pump onto the cover to pump the water off first. Not sure what make model of pump but it has a threaded outlet that adapts to garden hose with a pipe nipple or close enough, then a chain to hang it from the pump's bail handle with the cord and garden hose somewhat bundled together. I check on it every 30 mins or so by lifting it out to clear leaves and move it around if needed.

Looks like a good start, I can't wait to see more.
The pool cover - I'm sure you have it figured out by now but down on the farm we drop a cheapo sump pump onto the cover to pump the water off first. Not sure what make model of pump but it has a threaded outlet that adapts to garden hose with a pipe nipple or close enough, then a chain to hang it from the pump's bail handle with the cord and garden hose somewhat bundled together. I check on it every 30 mins or so by lifting it out to clear leaves and move it around if needed.
Yeah, the problem I have is that the cover always seems to get punctured and leaks, so it's impossible to pump out. As for the mill, I will build the bar clamp tonight, then I have to wait for a ripping chain to show up in the mail.

The mill table is looking good. Always nice to re-purpose something to suit your needs rather than buying new material. Will be curious to see it finished and how it works. I can imagine there'll be some fine-tuning and/or add-ons along the way as you start using it and get a feel for what would be best, but that's part of the fun of making it yourself. Enjoy!

Had to go to work for a few days (stupid work always gets in the way of fun with chainsaws :). I'll be back at it in a couple days, thanks for the posts.

Started working on the saw clamp/guide today, and should finish it up tonight. The welds aren't pretty, but it won't come apart!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
A few more pics today. I got the guide done, painted it, test clamped it to my saw, any promptly broke loose one of the bolts while tightening it. Apparently my weld on that one didn't penetrate the bolt. I ground it down and will re-weld it. Better to break now than while I'm using it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 53
Guide is finished now, I'm just waiting for the rip chain to arrive (supposedly arriving today). I sanded and waxed the cross beam and added a three part tackle that will allow a friend to help pull the saw through the wood. I used that technique with an old Haddon Beam Maker about 11 years ago and found it very helpful. I'll add an old picture of that at the end. As soon as I get the chain I'll test the setup and post my results.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
First test, but using a crosscut chain (rip chain just shipped). The basic design works well. I'm going to weld a handle onto the guide for better control though. When the ripping chain shows up I'm going to mill up some black cherry bench parts, I'll post pics.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 46
I love this design, it's a mill and a workbench! I could really use something like this out back, thanks for sharing.

Back