Methods to move mulch into backyards?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NebClimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody have a good trick for moving mulch into backyards MANUALLY?

I've used wheelbarrows and garbage cans (with wheels) in the past, but is there a better way?

Steven

I've drug tarps, cans and wheelbarrowed it. I haven't found a better combination than a good wheelbarrow, an ensilage fork and a garden rake. Obviously a move up into mechanization such as a mini-skidsteerhas possibilitities but you did say manually.

NebClimber said:
Anybody have a good trick for moving mulch into backyards MANUALLY?

Steven

Get a guy from the labor service or manpower company. Give him a wheelbarrow (if there is wheeled access) or a trash can, ensilage fork, and let him do it. Save your back for more worthwhile things. I use Labor Ready quite a bit. I pay $13.95 per man hour, 4 hours minimum.

I bought two of these Rubbermaid wheelbarrows. I think they call them feed carts. They'll hold a maximum load of 300#....I've filled them to the top with feed and still rolled them down a bumpy incline and over a drycreekbed to feed cattle.

I bought the second one for home. I've used it for moving everything in the garden. Mantis tiller, all my tools....in one trip.

It empties easily. Heavy things (like a big rock) can be kinda rolled into it if you lay the slanted front on the ground. Then, if you place it over the axle it can be pushed/pulled with one hand. I've filled it with compost, mulch, water, sticks, kids, dogs, etc. I guess I've had them over a year now and am very pleased. They're pricey....$150+....but worth every cent, IMHO.

I found this picture online:

http://arborist.************/attachment_23163.php

Power barrow How about this?

There's something similar and larger that masonry contractors use, I just can't think of the name, but I'm sure you could rent one.

You guys are cheating if you use mulch blowers and power barrows. The question was moving it manually.

wheelbarrow and a grain scoop (sometime snow shovel). or pacific bark blowers ;)

Koa Man said:
You guys are cheating if you use mulch blowers and power barrows. The question was moving it manually.

Then I find a fella named Manuel to move it for me!

look in a "Mc Master Carr, or a graingers book" ballast fork,,",,thats the ticket... best thing in the world for shoveling ,,, mulch,,,chips,,,stump grinding's. i wouldn't leave home without one!!!!!

Stumper. the fork you speak of, is it plastic tines or metal? I tried one once that was plastic and it didnt seem to last long. the mulch I am spreading is 3/8" compost mulch, almost a topsoil like consistency but coarser and a bit lighter. I only mention what it is because I wanna be sure we are all talkin bout the same materials.. and if you insist, I will try the cottonseed fork, if I can figure out what it is. :)

I had both plastic and metal ensilage forks. The plastic ones are junk. Too much flex and the tines spread apart when poking them into stuff. I like the metal ones. Used it yesterday to both rake and then load stump grindings into a trash barrel. Worked much better than the big #14 shovel I had.

We called them seed forks, scoop is shaped like a scoop shovel but with tines, short handle. better then a pitchfork.I like to leave the mulch on the dump truck, tilt the bed and fork into a wheelborrow, loads fast. Just another option.

Definitely the fork!!! I also like to use an alumnium shovel year round. I call it the "teaspoon." Great for scooping snow drifts and bark and anything else. I also find a flat gravel shovel as a good universal shovel. Especially when turning a compost pile.

Back