Mill setup questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTM

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am setting up for CSM and since I have never done this before I have some questions:

Granberg 48 mill with a 42 bar, can I expect 36" maximum milled width on the 48" mill without drilling the bar nose?

How much more difficult is the 48" mill to handle than the 36" (one man op)?

Someone posted configurations of mounting the bar nose that included slotted clamps so you could adjust the chain tension while in the mill. Where can I get some of those?

I'll be using ripping chain. Are there file gauges available to maintain proper cutter angle and raker depth/angle? I've been using the two in one Pferd file for cross cut chain so I haven't learned anything beyond that. I've read some about raker angles and such but for the life of me I just don't see how someone can discern such small angles without some tool or gauge.

I'm trying to size my mill for the maximum which you can see in my other post here. The 48" mill with a saw attached seems huge. I guess I can I try the 36 with drilled nose and if I come up short I can just order some longer rails because most of the trees will probably be around 20" but there are some curved logs so the larger mill might give a little insurance for that? Decisions.

Oh yea, I got a new (to me) rebuilt MS660 coming in the mail that will eventually power this. AFTER I get to play with and learn to tune it. Got it from a sponsor here.

Granberg 48 mill with a 42 bar, can I expect 36" maximum milled width on the 48" mill without drilling the bar nose?
Yes

How much more difficult is the 48" mill to handle than the 36" (one man op)?
You won't notice the difference, which is after all a foot more of each mill rail,

Someone posted configurations of mounting the bar nose that included slotted clamps so you could adjust the chain tension while in the mill. Where can I get some of those?
I posted something a while back but they were home shop made.
Some commercial helper handles have the ability to do this but I haven't seen one for some times.

I'll be using ripping chain. Are there file gauges available to maintain proper cutter angle and raker depth/angle? I've been using the two in one Pferd file for cross cut chain so I haven't learned anything beyond that. I've read some about raker angles and such but for the life of me I just don't see how someone can discern such small angles without some tool or gauge.
Start by reading these 2 posts.
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...nts-tips-and-tricks.93458/page-6#post-4107285
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...nts-tips-and-tricks.93458/page-8#post-5712979
The second will direct you to a complex thread in the Chain Sharpening Forum discussing all this in grimy detail but before that

Here some short vids of me
Sharpening

Setting rakers

I'm trying to size my mill for the maximum which you can see in my other post here. The 48" mill with a saw attached seems huge. I guess I can I try the 36 with drilled nose and if I come up short I can just order some longer rails because most of the trees will probably be around 20" but there are some curved logs so the larger mill might give a little insurance for that? Decisions.
I would get the 48" rails straight up - the extra ft of rails can be used as handles by a helper and helps balance the mill against the LHS weight of the powerhead,

I decided to practice setting my rakers on a couple of chains as BobL demonstrates. I was a bit surprised in the variation in the angles which I'm sure I introduced because of my poor sharpening ability. The rakers angle is consistent now and I can't wait to put the chain to wood.

Latest posts

Back