Milled a Chinese Elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

820wards

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I helped a friend mill a Chinese Elm that had to come down. I milled the slabs at 2-1/2" and made my center slab 2" above and 2" below the pith so he can re-saw the pith out and have true quarter sawn wood for table legs. The wood is very dense so I kept a couple of pieces for myself. I plan to cut a large enough piece for the lead guitar player in my band to make a strat style body.
jerry-image.jpg

My friend said I could have more if I want. Think I'll wait until it's dry.
j-
good idea, the logs I got were quite wet, some warped alot and shrunk. I still have one log here awaiting milling 2+ years on. Be great to see a follow up post when all done

good idea, the logs I got were quite wet, some warped alot and shrunk. I still have one log here awaiting milling 2+ years on. Be great to see a follow up post when all done
I have two silk oak trees I need to get milled and a 48" diameter oak Burl I need to get milled and stored away for drying. Getting someone to help me here during the week is my biggest problem. I usually have to wait for my son to help me on the weekends.
j-

I have two silk oak trees I need to get milled and a 48" diameter oak Burl I need to get milled and stored away for drying. Getting someone to help me here during the week is my biggest problem. I usually have to wait for my son to help me on the weekends.
j-
pictures coming?

was offered one a while back but refused it as was too busy.........might regret it now

pictures coming?

was offered one a while back but refused it as was too busy.........might regret it now
Not sure when I'll get the Burl/silk oak milled, my son just started a new job at Stanford and I need to mill around his schedule. I will post pictures when I mill them.
Hey, we are finally getting some rain here in CA. ☔
jerry-

Latest posts

Back