Milled Some more of the big white oak today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice idea on having the kill switch on the remote throttle, thanks have to do that to mine. With your experience Bob locking up the throttle is no problem you know what to look and listen for. For someone not so experienced it could lead to unwanted problems, seen it on two different saws, one i went to buy (090, didnt buy it) and one i had lent out (088, a $1200 lesson not to lend saws), it wasnt pretty. Standing on the offside i only need one hand to operate the mill, i get the best feel there and im away from the powerhead.

I might sound like I know what I'm doing but it's just an illusion :)

RE: throttle lock.
I agree it's not something that newbies cutting their first log should attempt right away.
However, its definitely not a problem for the saw as cuality correctly tuned chain saws are made to run full throttle for extended periods and the load controlled by pressure on the wood and not the throttle.. The most common thing I see with newbie operators is they think that saws shouldn't be run like this and sit on 3/4 throttle thinking they are are saving the saw. Once the cut is established, slipping a slightly loose cable tie over the trigger is no big deal and has been done successfully for many years by site members and I haven't heard of anyone on this forum having a problem with it.

Another important reason (especially for newbies) to stand on the power head side of an Alaskan mill is the power head will get caught up on lumps and bumps on the side of the log, or the chain just grabs too much wood and jams. Trying to direct the weight of a power head or unjam the mill from the other side of the log requires much more strength and leverage than standing right next to the powerhead.

It's different for mills on rails where the rails provides the side ways support and the powerhead is not in direct contact.

I might sound like I know what I'm doing but it's just an illusion :)

RE: throttle lock.
I agree it's not something that newbies cutting their first log should attempt right away.
However, its definitely not a problem for the saw as cuality correctly tuned chain saws are made to run full throttle for extended periods and the load controlled by pressure on the wood and not the throttle.. The most common thing I see with newbie operators is they think that saws shouldn't be run like this and sit on 3/4 throttle thinking they are are saving the saw. Once the cut is established, slipping a slightly loose cable tie over the trigger is no big deal and has been done successfully for many years by site members and I haven't heard of anyone on this forum having a problem with it.

Another important reason (especially for newbies) to stand on the power head side of an Alaskan mill is the power head will get caught up on lumps and bumps on the side of the log, or the chain just grabs too much wood and jams. Trying to direct the weight of a power head or unjam the mill from the other side of the log requires much more strength and leverage than standing right next to the powerhead.

It's different for mills on rails where the rails provides the side ways support and the powerhead is not in direct contact.

Firstly, BobL, I would like to say thank you for being such an asset to this site and especially with CSM. I hope to be as adept with my rig(s) one day as you are. I thought milling would be a piece of cake at first, but I quickly learned that there were many many little details I had to learn. It mattered not though and didn't deter me. I am addicted to it now. I absolutely wish I had found this site and you before I started. Thank you's aside, I have a question for you.

Where could one acure that MC throttle? Is there a universal one that will work? Also, was the unit you got plug and play for the most part, or did you have to machine parts for it to work? Thank you in advance sir.

I milled this on Sunday. It is the nicest wood ice gotten into so far. What do you think? You may have seen the picture on another post already. I've shared it several times. I'm really excited about it. If so, then I do apolgize.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back