MillerModSaws Stares Down the 7310/7910

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a very nice saw. Dosnt look like it's seen much runtime yet. Hopefully @titanman6100 will give us a bit of background here. Mainly how many tanks of gas has been threw it. It's very clean. But then again so was the 395xp I did that he owned. Let's get to the facts!

I took this saw and a brand spanking new 7910 to the patch tonight. And then I sat and pondered the results. Thought where do I want to go with this. Then I got the eyeball numbers and have thought somemore. Lmao. This saw with a 24" bar actually out cut the 7910 in oak that was just shorter than the bar. Switched to 28" bar and the 7910 was the prevailing saw but both were close enough I will not discredit the 7310. Dam there strong.

Here's your initial numbers. Remember I took these with a flash light and my eyeball.
Squish- .023"
Exhaust 107.5
Trans 131
In 74
Comp 195

Now my initial thoughts. @Poleman and I have joined forces so to speak and he has been doing amazing work with the 7910s I have ported. Hopefully he jumps in and gives some feedback. But in pine with a custom carb,unlimited coil he now has those baby's turning over 13000 in the cut. Case volume and case compression are very critical on the 7910. As I was pondering this build my initial thought was I bet I can run lower blowdown on this saw. Or so that seems logical to me. Less cc same case size. But we will see. The initial numbers indicate a tad lower exhaust and and roughly 1 degree less blowdown.

There's such a small difference in them stock that most can't tell it apart of you don't have a number on it.
It took several cuts and attempting to tune them exactly the same. Enough so the final porting I guess is what I'm gonna haft to aim for. Lmao

I really like the 7910 at 80°. I've tried more I've tried less. That seems to be it's happy spot for me anyways. The 7910 however runs a 76° from the factory, the 7900 has a 78°. This saw is at 74°. I feel if i try to set the intake with a base cut that is going to be way to much comp. Lol.

I think on my initial go I'm gonna take .023 off the base. .020 off the squish. Or whatever gives me the 103/130/76. That's running the exhaust 1 degree lower than I do on a 7910 with 1 degree less blow down but initially 4 degree higher intake.

On a final note as I sit here and ponder. Lol. I've taken the exhaust as high as 100° on the 7910. It does really well here with a 20/24" bar combo. I prefer the 102. But honestly I don't believe you see the full potential of these saws until you get rid of that dam limited coil.

Carl's got the 7910 hummin.... Did a saw of his last week that turned 13,2 in 26 inch pine with a 24 inch bar.....that's way over the 12,5 limited coil will let it do. The unlimited coil changed the personality of the saw......its no longer a reined back race horse, and it gives it, its head......boy does it run!!!!!!
The saw was running way rich when I got it. Mechanically everything was good other than the carb. It had a warn needle arm and diphram nipple causing the over rich condition. Got that fixed and the saw took to the unlimited coil. Dialed it in then modded the carb, going 30-40 on the jets and blocked the H bleed orfice to regsain Hi adjustability. Dialed in was was 14,4-14,6 unloaded and 13,2 in wood!!!! It was FUN!!

I'm guessing you can. I'm not sure of the configuration and how it's set up.
The 7910 is setup the same as the 7900 coil. No need to buy a different flywheel, it's just a coil change and adjustment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back