Milling big redgum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scheffa

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hey all, I posted a couple of photos a little while back of a huge redgum log I had to kill up.
Well I've finally started milling the beast and it's definitely worth the time.
I only mill this log after hours so it's not happening quickly.
Log measures 2.1m at the big end, 1.5m at the other and 5.5m long

Pretty impressive piece of wood! But is there a reason why you're milling uphill? Would be a whole lot easier going the other way...

Keep posting up pics....
Are you going to square up one side or will your mill make the width??
Amazing colors /grain..
G Vavra

My oh my... I bet nobody's ever been left unsatisfied by the size of your wood. Great setup, like others, I'd love to know how much each of those slabs weighs. Can't imagine they're something you tuck under your arm.

One cut is using a tank and half of fuel, running full skip chain.
Have t got any plans for the timber as yet, we will probably sell a couple then work out what to do with the rest.
I've got more logs to mill and slabs stacked around than I know what to do with at the moment.
Unfortunately due to work my time is a bit limited of late with crappy weather and shorter days.
After climbing trees all day the motivation to mill when finished is a bit low

That's some real nice lumber you have there, would love to have some of those slabs, if only it would cost it a fortune to get across the world haha.

Kiwi, that's pretty cool , zapping the slabs like that. I checked out the link. One thing they say that I don't follow is, the wood won't combust after zapping. I was 4th generation in my family doing residential tree removal. Have taken down many lightning struck White Oaks and Tulip Poplars and they burn just fine. Some people say lightning struck trees pop and spit when burning, but I have never seen that either. A couple years ago I took down a large White pine that got struck. It blew a channel out of the bark from the point of impact to the ground, then blew a furrow in the ground, following a big root 20 feet from the tree. I gave all of that wood to one of our Boy Scout leaders to burn in their camp fire, it burned fine, no flame resistance at all, Joe.

Back