MILLING COST

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed to death but I'm not into digging up 5 or 6 year old info. I have a small manual mill. A small tractor that I move logs with a boom pole and grabs. The only real cost I have is fuel and blades. I am starting to have ,"how much you charge request" on a regular basis. Help me get a handle on what is a fair price to saw another persons lumber that is delivered to my mill and picked up by the customer. There will be 2 working. I'm not going to cut the big stuff. 33" to 34" inch stuff and nothing longer than 10'.

I would also like an idea of a fair price for 1" pine boards 8' and 10' long. Pine 2"x4" and 2"x6" 8' and 10' long.
How much upcharge for hardwood? This would be lumber that I cut haul and mill.

Know in advance I appreciate any guidance you might give.

I'd agree with Mdavlee. 250-300 per 1000Bd/ft. I have one guy that charges 27cents a bdft and another guy that charges $30 an hour. Around here knotty white pine is 50-60cent a bd/ft clear is $1. Hardwoods are $1 a bd/ft and up

$135/hr. Roughly works out to $250-300/ thousand board feet area (all depending on board size, log size, etc.

what kind of mill are you referring to ?

Woodmizer Super Hydraulic LT40 with 50hp Yanmar diesel.

Doesn't so much matter on mill size, aside from if you charge by the hr it should reflect what the machine can output. We can do around 500 bd ft/hr with 2 people.
Not sure if that's a lot or not, I'm not a lumber guy, just help out since we do lumber at the shop I run my firewood operation out of.

Thanks, wasn't sure, am running an alaskan 1.3 meter with an 880. Any idea what people are charging your way?

I don't know of anyone running a chainsaw mill around here doing it for hire. Most of the chainsaw mills I know of are DIY or out in the bush were lumber or a "normal" mill like a Woodmizer can't be brought in very easy.

Back