milling with an autotune or m-tronic saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlandrum

dealer,saw builder
Reaction score
how many of you are milling with an autotune or m-tronic saw. im just wondering if the auto carbed saws will keep the saw fattened up enough and running cool enough to mill with. I had a customer that cooked his ported 576xp milling with it. im just wondering if something else went wrong or was it not able to keep the saw fed with enough fuel.

The first day i had my 661c-m with an alaskan mill i went out to mill some oak slabs and about 20 minutes into milling the chain tensioner bolt snapped, but never had problems with anything else.

I've free hand milled boards for heli pads with mine. Cut trunks to separate tree's growing close together. Cut spring boards. Usually about 5'er's. Fell and Bucked tree's up to 10' with it Although the average was like 5'. 576 came from you and the only problem I've had with it in 5-600 tanks is that damn 266 deflector on the muffler screws kept vibrating out. You gotta write that mod off your procedure list terry LoL. Actually welding some pipes on that muff today. Just thinking of a way to screen the outlets right this minute. I plan to run her til she quits.

how many of you are milling with an autotune or m-tronic saw. im just wondering if the auto carbed saws will keep the saw fattened up enough and running cool enough to mill with. I had a customer that cooked his ported 576xp milling with it. im just wondering if something else went wrong or was it not able to keep the saw fed with enough fuel.
If it has stock muffler it may be too choked up for milling ,i had to open up the exhaust to let the heat out ,this was on reg carb saw though .

If it has stock muffler it may be too choked up for milling ,i had to open up the exhaust to let the heat out ,this was on reg carb saw though .

Dude man, this 441 you sold me broke down after 2 tanks! what gives!!! was the husqvarna sticker suppose to be some kind of sick joke?

Image.aspx

AT/MT, not much local feedback in regard to milling. Did not see these saws in person.

661s- boggy, then would rev out and bog down again, randomly. Owner not new to 661s or milling, still uses 661s for commercial work. He was disappointed, but had plenty of other saws to mill with so moved on quickly.

576- went bad flywheel side resulting p/c damage. Owner still uses 576s commercially, back to 395s for milling.

CSMs have become quite popular but most are using older saws.

the only saw ive ever had go down because of milling is a 576xp at. that was ported and muffler modded. the saw was running great up til the day it was milled with. it then melted the piston.

Im going to move this thread to the milling forum then back to chainsaw so that I can leave a redirect in the milling forum to the chainsaw forum for a few days.
Hold on your seat.

thanks,the more feedback I can get the better. I want to see if these type saws are in wide use in the milling application.

If I still had one I would have used it a lot but I try to use 90cc for it If Its available.

I mill small beams with a ms362. No problems even on long cuts. I did a cut on a 16 foot beam and used a tank of fuel for the cut. I think that should be a long enough cut to melt it if it was going to melt down.

the only saw ive ever had go down because of milling is a 576xp at. that was ported and muffler modded. the saw was running great up til the day it was milled with. it then melted the piston.

In normal use it was probably on the ragged edge of being able to supply enough fuel, once milling it probably wanted to give it more fuel but couldn't. I'm sure there is something in there your could drill slightly to increase it's fuel potential.

To small of a power head to mill with. It couldn't handle the abuse. I have a non auto tune and it's awesome but I wouldn't mill with it.

Back