Modding Stihl 036

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I wish I had taken before & after cylinder head temp readings with the Raytek that & a snapshot from a 5 gas analizer. The thing is probably just a little bit dirtyer when spoolin up but will have reduced hc & nox higher up. So yes that & the majic screwdriver.

The size of the seat orifice would be a factor for variables, as the guy at Walbro pointed out.

Oilhead...Lake...do you think that pop-off would be effected in a running saw by the low speed screw adjustment? I guess I'm wondering how real the test pressures are, when applied to what's going when the engine is operating.

Last edited:
lakeside

Hey lakeside....what is the spec max. rpm for a stock 036......????:cheers:

I've seen an 036 listed at 13,000 rpms as well. I have one, and tend to think the max is 13000, at least on mine...could be wrong though.

Last edited:
Never take the max rpm data from the service manual -that's printed before the saw even hits the market. Stihl produces "Test and Setting Data" for all of their equipment, and it gets updated every couple of years. Someone uploaded a copy to AS recently.

The size of the seat orifice would be a factor for variables, as the guy at Walbro pointed out.

Oilhead...Lake...do you think that pop-off would be effected in a running saw by the low speed screw adjustment? I guess I'm wondering how real the test pressures are, when applied to what's going when the engine is operating.
- It could be possiable but am inclined to think that they did'nt change a thing other than jacking up the spring pressues applyed starting with the internal muffler cage then "even more as backpressure increased" to the point where the muffler looks more like a sealed up 361 inside.

OilHead, yes I have tested about all the saws I can get my hands on. From what I have found, if the carb makers are paying any attention at all to the pop-off pressure on their carbs for stock saws, they must be on a secret mission to conceal their knowledge...ie, the pop-off pressures are all over the board. A 242xp that I tested today, had a pop-off pressure of 34psi! More often than not, I'm finding stock pressures above 20psi. Don't know if you saw the email I posted from Walbro on the subject.... Basicly, a
guy there said it doesn't matter on stock equipment, but did go on to say that in racing engines, like in karting, the pop-off is more critical. I guess that they think it is out of their jurisdiction to have to respond informatively to any question that goes beyond stock engine requirements. Unfortunately, they act totally vague on the subject. I still haven't exactly settled on what I find is best for my modded saws, but I doubt it is 34psi.
:chainsaw: After installing the Wojo front cover on the 036 that had already been walkerized thus making it a total of 3 5/8" exits only had to turn the H screw 1/16 to 1/8 turn richer in order to drop the 600 rpm gain that was noticed. Idle quality is excellent . It still returns to idle immediatly & spools up quick something that you would never be able to do with a factory build carb with the pop off set so high. Anyway rather than have the muffler lookin like two hoes in an abortion clinic take a chrome 3/4" deep socket & make a 30 degree backside cut keep it short & point it towards the starter side . Place that over the 2 holes you have now & wire feed weld it on. Slot out the space between the 2 drilled holes. I went the Wojo route because of the need to have screens . In addition to what he supplys I rolled up a finer mesh screen from a 066 & stuffed that inside . One other thing I've noticed about this mod is were gonna have to bring more gas. :buttkick:

That sure is a lot of muffler opening, would seem to dispel the theory that too large,and loss of back pressure can produce the inability to idle without the chain moving. I had a saw where just exactly that happened. Since your saw is working fine, I'm thinking that by reducing the pop-off pressure, the idle/chain moving problem might get solved as well. I wish someone would do a PhD dissertation on pop-off, get the facts straight for all us, though most guys don't seem to want to know about it.

Back