Modding the new MS201T - The truth inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It seems like every review I see on these is less than stellar. The more bad I heard, the more I wanted to get my hands on one. So that's exactly what I did. I went out and bought one this morning just to get the lowdown on them for myself and see what's really up with them.

I'll start out with some pics.

IMG8077-M.jpg

IMG8078-M.jpg

IMG8079-M.jpg

IMG8080-M.jpg

IMG8081-M.jpg

IMG8082-M.jpg

Last edited:
Here it is starting up for the first time. Throttle response was very poor at first. Once it warmed up, I tuned the L a littler and it was much improved. I then headed straight out and dropped a small Locust tree with it. I found out that it wanted the L set on the lean side. If not, it would sometimes load up a little at idle and stumble, or even die, when you blipped the throttle. Leaning out the L really seemed to help this.

Last edited:
I then did some cuts on the stand with it still bone stock. After that, I began the process of modding the muffler. Removing the spark arrestor screen on this muffler does not give you another port as the 200T does. So, I drilled a hole in it.

IMG8083-M.jpg

IMG8084-M.jpg

As you can see here, the plastic must be trimmed.
IMG8085-M.jpg

IMG8087-M.jpg

Here's the finished product.
IMG8094-M.jpg

IMG8093-M.jpg

Last edited:
Now for the timed cuts.

The muffler mod made a significant difference in this saw. In the vid, I'm showing you how it runs with light, medium, heavy, and very heavy loads. These are not all meant to be representative of the saws best cut times. When I throw out those cuts just made for demonstration, and take the best couple of times, the muffler mod was good for a 22% gain.

I then proceeded to advance the ignition timing. I had a strong hunch that this was a big piece of the puzzle. I was right. The saw picked up another 20% over the muffler mod alone. It is now nearly 38% faster than stock!

Of course, everyone wants to know how it compares to a 200T. With a muffler mod only, they're dead even. With the timing advanced on the 201T, it was 20% faster than a muffler modded 200T! Would the 200T pick up another 20% with some timing advance? I don't know. That wasn't part of this test.

Once both the muffler was modded and the timing advanced, throttle response seems as snappy as a 200T, IMHO.

As I figured, a lot of what we're hearing is less than dependable for those looking to purchase one of these. With proper tuning, they run well, even in stock form. Once modded, they are a phenominal saw, as I suspected it would be.

Last edited:
Is there any harm that can occur from the timing advance over a long period of time? I wounder how the filtration would stack up aginst the husky air injection? I know there has been a few demo's on youtube but I believe they were using the 200t. I for one just by watching those videos was floored by the difference.

well, now I have to go out and buy a 201t. I always wanted a new top held saw. cad hits me again :smile2:

great video!

very cool!!!enjoyed the videos!!!glad im broke makes me wanna go buy one LMAO!

great review brad! :rock: My 200t is 2 months old with 6 tanks of fuel thru it and was running 14,900 and the high speed screw was max from the factory . You are correct on what a little tunning will do for the saw to run better.

Great thread Brad, provides a great service to many members. It sure shows how much unlocked potential this little saw has.

Well with all things being even like both saws stock with a muffler mod how do they compare ? Does it use a blue coil?
They were dead even with muffler mods only.

well, now I have to go out and buy a 201t. I always wanted a new top held saw. cad hits me again :smile2:
This one's for sale. I've done what I wanted with it.

Brad, did you shave half the key for your advance?
Yes.

Dammit,post a pic of the buck!
Can you believe this! Today was the very first time he ever hunted deer. He's 12 years old. My brother had to wake him up and hand him the shotgun, lol. He rolled over in the prone position and shot with only one hand on the gun. Took out a lung! Talk about lucky! Inside spread is 19". The main beams are 21". G2s are 8 1/2". Field dressed it weighed 173#. Butchered, except for the quarters, weighed 85#. All told, he should have right at 75# of meat. We figure it weighed 200# on the hoof. It was a blast to be there and experience this. My Dad made it as well. We then all skinned and butchered it together. All of the kids had a great time, including the girls! They all wanted to get in on cutting and handling the meat. It was a super enjoyable evening with the family.

IMG8105-M.jpg

IMG8118-M.jpg

IMG8119-M.jpg

I'll offer these mods for $50 + shipping. If interested, I can also supply the saw. A new modded saw would run you $625 + shipping. This wasn't the goal or point of this thread, but I hate to see a saw run at less than it's potential. I'm selling this first one for actual cost, $575 + shipping.

Nice deer and great family participation.
Lots of my buddies go to Ohio to hunt the big boys that grow there.

I knew you could 'fix' the 201T Brad, good work :msp_thumbup:

Regarding the muffler mod, can the muffler be opened up while still using some sort of spark arrestor?

Back